8700k clock speed always at max?

PAPPADOC

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
I overclocked my delidded 8700k to 5.0mhz at 1.35 volts. I set the AVX Offset to 2 which I think means -200 since the description in the bios says it's in the negative and silicon lottery said to set it at that number. My clock speed is always at 4.8-5.0Mhz when idle. Is this normal? Is there something in the bios that needs to be changed if this is not a normal clock speed when idle?

Solution
There is actually a windows setting that you can change in the advanced power options. If you select the processor in the dropdown menu, then you can set the minimum power state for when it is idle. High performance is often set to 100% by default, and power saver is usually set to 5%, but you can change them to whatever you want.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
There is actually a windows setting that you can change in the advanced power options. If you select the processor in the dropdown menu, then you can set the minimum power state for when it is idle. High performance is often set to 100% by default, and power saver is usually set to 5%, but you can change them to whatever you want.

Solution

PAPPADOC

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016

It's set to balance and minimum processor state is already set to 5% and maximum is set to 100% and it still is at max clock speed.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Okay then there is a setting in bios called speedstep or EIST that you can enable. Also make sure you have the C1E setting enabled or speedstep won't work. If that doesn't work, then I would try changing the minimum processor state to something random and then changing it back to 5%. It may be that another program has altered the settings and it is just not reflected. Honestly though, speedstep is not worth it unless you are trying to conserve energy or reduce heat. I keep mine off and it is noticeably snappier because every calculation is performed at the max clock, and it does not have to transition through power states. Keeping it off is also necessary to maintaining a stable overclock because clock speed and voltage won't scale the same.