Question 8700k Frequency higher then set in bios

Oct 25, 2020
hi, my 8700k had a oc of 4.7 all cores 1.35v ( i havent tinkered with lowering it yet, since everything above 47 wasnt stable even with 1.38v )
no avx offset, bclk at 100, multicore enhancement off

i noticed that during loads or even browsing the web .. it sometimes ramps to 5ghz and stays there for quite a while .. resulting in a bluescreen
i cant explain myself why it is doing that , when the multiplier is set to 47 ...
after removing the oc , and setting bios defaults , it did the exact same behaviour ... is that a bad cpu ? or mainboard ?

its a strix z370-f on the latest bios

If the BIOS were hard reset defaulted (certainly removing all power, and pulling the CMOS battery and holding down the power switch for 30 seconds should solve that!), that should remove any 'preset overclocks' if possible/in use under BIOS settings...

What methods did you use to overclock above 4.7 GHz? (SImply manual entry of multiplier settings? Try just Auto/default, and lets see if we can first get rid of the OC)

Never heard of a CPU just arbitrarily going a few hundred MHz over it's top clock speeds!

Oct 25, 2020
If the BIOS were hard reset defaulted (certainly removing all power, and pulling the CMOS battery and holding down the power switch for 30 seconds should solve that!), that should remove any 'preset overclocks' if possible/in use under BIOS settings...

What methods did you use to overclock above 4.7 GHz? (SImply manual entry of multiplier settings? Try just Auto/default, and lets see if we can first get rid of the OC)

Never heard of a CPU just arbitrarily going a few hundred MHz over it's top clock speeds!
i did a hard reset via the cmos battery , unplugged pc from wall . pressed power button couple times removed battery for 10 minutes , its still jumping to 5ghz on 1.54v sometimes ..
oc i tried auto already, and manual multiplier and manual voltage etc nothing solved it, its still jumping above the set multiplier ..