Question 8700K got slightly bent somehow

Nov 8, 2019
I was going to reapply thermal paste when I found that the CPU layer got slighly bent in the middle, it's very minor but it's there I suspect it's due to the mounting pressure applied by my Noctua NH-D14, wtf.

I'm pretty confident I didn't overtighten the cooler to cause this damage, I just screwed it down and evenly. I installed Noctua coolers before and I know how to properly install them, so I'm really pissed now and where do I claim regarding this?

I'm wondering now what might be the cause of my bent cpu. Thanks

Nov 8, 2019
View: https://imgur.com/a/OvJFVU7

I can notice a slight bent, the photo may not show it smooth, but in my eyes I notice it. Intel since Skylake their CPUs are thinner and prone to bent by some big air coolers like mine, I was carefully to install the cooler because I knew I was installing a big heavy cooler and taking in mind to stop screwing until no longer can, I took all possible precautions, might be a manufacturer defect

View: https://imgur.com/a/OvJFVU7

I can notice a slight bent, the photo may not show it smooth, but in my eyes I notice it. Intel since Skylake their CPUs are thinner and prone to bent by some big air coolers like mine, I was carefully to install the cooler because I knew I was installing a big heavy cooler and taking in mind to stop screwing until no longer can, I took all possible precautions, might be a manufacturer defect

Not really much bent looked at picture can see it little bit have you tested this cpu yet to see if it works?

Nov 8, 2019
Yes it's working fine, motherboard socket it's fine too, the processor it's already from a RMA part from Intel because last one died, I don't know if I can do a RMA of a RMA processor lol

Should I talk with Noctua or Intel, or both? Regarding to this issue.

Bending of the cpu do to cooler is on our hands and were responsible because there no faults with the cooler parts just that you might of screwed it in tightly so there nothing that they noctua can do. With intel ask them to do RMA because CPU is bent and they might help you!

Reactions: dbarberoc
Nov 8, 2019
If you explain to them what happened, and either party reimburses you, they'd be doing you a great favour and showing surprising generosity. It was by your hand the cpu was bent.
Yes I agree, but I'm confident I was extremely cautious attaching the cooler, I'm not a first builder. Noctua claims that you cannot overtight their coolers, you cannot do it even done on purpose, SecureFirm will stop you from applying more pressure to the CPU, which is true and I trust them.
I just simply think that this CPU didn't supported the weight of the cooler, might be a bad QC manufacturing process, and also might be a mishandling for my part but I doubt it, Thank your responde

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019
Bending of the cpu do to cooler is on our hands and were responsible because there no faults with the cooler parts just that you might of screwed it in tightly so there nothing that they noctua can do. With intel ask them to do RMA because CPU is bent and they might help you!
I won't do an RMA, I cannot demonstrate it was their fault by the way, it's the final user faults, since Skylake processors are more prone to bend due to the thinner layer, but I cannot simply understand how I overtighten the screws even if it doesn't let me to do so, It may be the socket clamp that didn't secured the CPU correctly?

Nov 8, 2019
I think I found the reason of the bend, I remember when I was removing the cooler I didn't completely unscrewed one screw, but it was a bit loose and I pulled the heatsink with a bit of force, not much, thinking I was able to pull out safely. so forcefully pulling out the cpu and the heatsink while they are locked in place! jammed the processor, so it was my fault, at least I explained why it happened, it makes sense now.