8700k - individual serial number for identification?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Hi, I am thinking to give my 8700k to a 3rd party delidding service. From what I can tell from my personal testing and playing around with I've got lucky with the silicone lottery and got a pretty good chip. So I want to tap more of its potential by having it delid. How can I assure I will get the chip back that I gave in. Is there something like a individual chip ID that can be read out electronically? Or can someone recommend delidding serices that are absolute reliable? I just want to make sure I am really getting the chip back that I sent in...

Thanks.

InvalidError

Titan
Back in the P3-P4 days, Intel used to burn a serial number into its CPUs that could be read back using a CPUID index but due to privacy concerns, I believe that feature got scrapped and computer ID got delegated to the optional TPM.

If you want to distinguish your chip from others, you'll have to put some sort of subtle mark on it that only you might recognize as such. Even then, there is a possibility that your delidder might ultrasound-clean the chips at some point and remove most types of markings.

InvalidError

Titan

OP wants to have his CPU de-lidded. The factory serial number is on the lid. IHS can get swapped around post de-lidding.

Maybe the serial number is also encoded into the rectangular QR-like code along the substrate's edge.

InvalidError

Titan

With the correct tool, it is as simple as turning a screw. Never done it myself but everyone who's done it and posted a video about it describe the experience as nerve-wracking the first handful of times. If you do it yourself, make certain you put the CPU in the correct way, fully seated and square, and don't tighten beyond the point where the IHS begins to move or you may rip some of the SMDs under the IHS' edge.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
so what I understand, by using the delidding tools, I basically lifting/pooping up the IHS, then remove the old clue from the circuit board, clean of the old thermal paste from the die with a gentle cloths (alcohol?) possible without scratching the die, apply the liquid metal paste (how much?) on the die, add new glue to the circuit board, put it back in the delidding tool, put the IHS back on and let the glue cure for about 2 hrs. Is that basically it?? this doesn't need to be done in a clean room?