8700k maximus hero x

cookie89

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Hi i am following this video aswell as others https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU

I follow the instructions exactly but my cpu multiplier always stays locked on 37 (3.7ghz) for some reason

I updated the bios to the most recent before overclocking i feel thta ever since that that is what is causing the block?

I also am unable to backdate the bios from the flash option i get the "The selected file is not a proper bios" every time i have made sure the drive is fat32 and renamed the file to m10h.cap and i also read that it should be m10hwifi.cap as i have the wifi edition but both dont work

I had the chip on 4.7 before i updated bios etc but now it wont budge past 3.7 even with xmp anbd mce enabled

please help I'm at my wits end here!?

Solution
What are you using for cooling? What voltage are you running currently? Is your 4.7Ghz for all cores? Generally, there is quite a jump in voltage required for 5.0Ghz and above and extra heat generated. Regarding temps, where are you getting the info from? I generally use Realtemp or Coretemp for these types of readings.
May 4, 2018
Thanks for reply I’ll try that

I’m checking it in bios after save and restart still always shows 37 on multiplier and also on cpuz in Windows

I’m thinking it’s something to do with this bios update though ?

May 4, 2018
I can’t flash bios it doesn’t me I keep getting the error mentioned above so I tried the online update which worked and I am now on the latest 1301 bios version updated straight from the version that must come with the board

I’m on the WiFi ac version btw incase that wasn’t clear

May 4, 2018
Well I tried blank usb formatted long to fat32 then loading the exctrated cap file onto it get the selected file is not a proper bios message

Then read you have to rename to M10H.CAP still same error

Then read you have to rename to M10HWIFI.CAP still same error

Any thoughts as to where I’m going wrong ?

cookie89

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

it says current is 3.6 and original 3.7 overclock -2.7%

cookie89

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

so you think i should not need to rename the .cap bios file to M10H like it says to do in the manual? and keep it ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-ASUS-1003.CAP for example ?

Yes, don't rename anything. I think those are old outdated instructions that ASUS hasn't updated. Just get the version you would like for the Wi-Fi version you have. I'm using 0802 myself. I literally download, unzip, and copy/paste to USB when updating UEFI.

cookie89

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I've tried flashing the earliest bios version think its 8002 from asus site using a different fat32 usb stick this time and using the flash bios button on the IO panel and it seems to work flashes for around a minute then stops however when i load bios again its still on the current bios version 1301 ? this is actual driving me crazy spent over 2 grand on this build and i cant even get it to do what it is supposed to do :(

May 4, 2018
Ok so I searched my support disc for a .cap file and got a really old usb 60mb capacity put the original bios on there and ez flashed it seems to be working I just need to check if I can get above 3.7 this time around

May 4, 2018
So I think I might have figured out half my problem I changed power settings that where on high performance to balanced and straight away my clock speed went up so I reset my power settings to defaults and can get 4.7 now however in system information about section it still says 3.7 amd also says it’s set to 37 even though I set the multiplier to 47 in bios ?

Surely after a save and restart it should say 47/4.7 now??