8700k never exceeds 4.3 Ghz

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi, just built an 8700k + Gigabyte Gaming 5 pc. I notice that the cpu never exceeds 4.3 Ghz no matter what I do with it. Even cinebench single core test resulting in 4.3 Ghz on all cores (why all cores are working anyway in this test?.. what's the point of "single core" ?)

In the bios i left everything on auto and in the advanced cpu settings everything seems to be right (4.7 Ghz on 1 core, 4.6 2 cores.. etc').

I keep HWmonitor always on when operating the pc and i never see speed above 4.3.
What is going on? Any answer would be appreciated.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
im not familiar with your motherboard but if you let your BIOS to auto clock. it may have set your AVX offset to 3 or more. try double-checking on that also.

try running prime95 as well. run a torture test. select small ffts. uncheck run ffts in place. this will run mostly non-AVX commands.

WildCard999

Titan

I wouldn't trust any auto overclocking feature as in my experience it gives the CPU too much voltage.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Thanks for the reply, but i prefer not to run aggressive stress test at this point. I also not going to overclock, at least for a while.
But anyway. even if i would run prime95, it will still force the cpu to operate in 6 cores mode so whats the point?
I want to know why the cpu doesn't boost to 4.7/4.6 when running day to day tasks.

NOTE: my temps are fine, in HWmonitor it shows high 20's - 30 degrees when idle or doing light work. during gaming (AC origins, pretty cpu heavy) it is spending time in the 50's. so temps aren't the issue here imo.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017

You didn't quite get me..I am not happy so far cause my CPU doesn't boost up to it's advertised speed (4.7/4.6) and stay at 4.3 all the time, even at single core tasks. I want to know what's wrong!

Do somebody has advice?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
if you ran the prime95 test with the settings i mentioned on my first post. that will get your chip to run at the max frequency/
if it still doesnt do it, it may be your PSU hindering the turbo boost feature of your chip.
whats the model of your power supply? again i am not familiar with your BIOS, so check somewhere about CPU settings. most boards have it by default ON, double check turbo boost setting.

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017

I have Seasonic 850W its very good, I don't believe it's a bottleneck.
I appreciate the advice regarding prime, But I really prefer not to run prime on the shiny new cpu right now.
There must be another way to check this issue. Anyone here with 8700k can test if in stock settings he is getting the same behavior as me?