8700k OC keep temperatures in check without delidding?

Sep 24, 2018
Assuming the lottery doesn't fail me completely and I get a CPU which can run at 5Ghz without going above 1.35v, is there any way to keep the temperatures at or below 80°C in stress tests without delidding?

For MB I'm thinking about either X Formula for the extra VRM cooling or can X Hero do the job?
For cooling would X72 Kraken be enough? If not what would you recommend?

I'm looking to build a configuration for my work in After Effects and Cinema4D. I would also use it for rendering with third-party rendering apps that utilize multi-threading and pretty much put the CPU under high load during rendering.

Solution
If I were you, seeing what your intentions are, and unless you have to have this system immediately, I would wait. 9th gen Intel CPUs are supposed to launch in the next month or two, and they will use solder between the die and heat spreader like was done back in the Sandy Bridge days, and hasn't been since then. This SHOULD offer a lot more overclocking headroom, much better thermals, and no need or even ability to have to delid.

Plus, it seems additional cores are likely beyond what is available on Coffee lake. New chipset and boards as well. Being this close to the launch of a new platform or at least new iteration of an existing platform along with major internal and architectural changes, seems a bad idea to not wait to at least...
If I were you, seeing what your intentions are, and unless you have to have this system immediately, I would wait. 9th gen Intel CPUs are supposed to launch in the next month or two, and they will use solder between the die and heat spreader like was done back in the Sandy Bridge days, and hasn't been since then. This SHOULD offer a lot more overclocking headroom, much better thermals, and no need or even ability to have to delid.

Plus, it seems additional cores are likely beyond what is available on Coffee lake. New chipset and boards as well. Being this close to the launch of a new platform or at least new iteration of an existing platform along with major internal and architectural changes, seems a bad idea to not wait to at least see what the results are. Worst case scenario, prices on existing 8th gen hardware SHOULD probably go down in price temporarily if it follows the historical trend.

Solution
Sep 24, 2018

Thank you for the info. After a quick search it appears that 9th gen will be released pretty soon, though early October doesn't seem likely. And the rumored price for the 9900k will be roughlt $500 US, do you know if there's any truth in that?

Unfortunately, I don't think anybody knows what is true and what is not. Not until the fact happens.

Alternatively, you might want to look at Threadripper 1920X for that price, with it's 12 cores/24 threads. There is no doubt that graphical and 3D applications will make the utmost use of those additional cores and threads.

Sep 24, 2018
For rendering that is true, but sadly Cinema4D and After Effects mostly only utilize a single core during work. So a higher clock speed is essential. I do plan, however, to build a second workstation solely for rendering, which is another matter.