Question 8700k only works with 2 cores disabled.

Sep 22, 2019
The issue with my8700k is that it doesn’t run at stock settings. It can run fine at 2.5ghz all core or 4.8ghz with two cores disabled. Not really sure if I can do anything about it or it is just broken

Full hardware specifications? Motherboard, memory kit model, graphics card, BIOS version, Windows version, case, cooler, etc.?

Have you updated your motherboard BIOS to the latest version?

Have you installed all the relevant drivers from your motherboard's product support page?

Have you installed the most current Intel chipset drivers?

Honestly, I suspect that you'll be pulling the CPU out to check for bent pins on the motherboard before all is said and done, because right off the bat I'd suspect that to be the case based on your symptoms. Either than or possibly a standoff in the wrong place between the motherboard and case.

Let's get the specs first and go from there. A little more history about the issue might also be helpful.

Sep 22, 2019
Asus prime z-370 A. Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000mhz. EVGA rtx 2060 xc ultra. Corsair rm750x. Corsair 750D for the case. Thermaltake water 3.0 360mm

Bios is the most recent and I am 99% sure all the drivers are the most recent.

I did check for bent pins, but they look fine. There is maybe one that is slightly bent compared to the rest, but only by a tiny bit. I have tested this in another motherboard that has maybe 3 pins that look slightly bent and it had the same issue.

Unfortunately I can’t give any other info as it was purchased like this. The guy said that it wouldn’t run at stock settings, but did when he put svid set to worst case scenario and showed proof of that while using intel diagnostic tool so I assumed it was the motherboard playing up.. Could be worth noting that when I originally got the cpu it worked for 5 mins at stock settings, but I had to go to work so I just turned my pc off. When I get back I tried running it at like 4.4ghz or something at 1.3 volts I believe.

Well, I gotta admit that as uncommon as a faulty CPU IS, if the previous owner said it had a problem AND you have the exact same problem on two different motherboards, then it's a pretty good chance that's exactly what the issue is. And being so, I wouldn't trust anything done with that CPU to not be suspect.

was this installation of Windows perhaps previously with some other processor and/ or mainboard?

All BIOS options set to defaults for initial stability testing? (Including CPU voltage)

As default is 4.7 GHz turbo, let's drop all OC tinkering at the moment...and disable MCE mode; the CPU might not handle all-core turbo at 4.7 GHz wtih default core voltage....

Sep 22, 2019
With 6 cores enabled I couldn’t get it to run higher than 2.5ghz no matter the voltage I set it to. Tried giving it more volts than it would ever need at that clock speed.

With 2 cores disabled i got it to 4.9ghz at 1.3 volts or something like that, I can’t remember exactly.

Windows was installed with an i5 8400 on the same motherboard as I am using now.

I believe that CPU is damaged.

Have you tried completely doing a CMOS hard reset and then at the default configuration running the Intel diagnostic utility? If it can't run at the stock configuration, then it is bad or the motherboard is bad. Nothing else to it really unless there are other factors like a CPU cooler cranked down too tightly, standoffs in the wrong location under the motherboard (Or loose fasteners) or some non-standard reason. If none of those exist, then the CPU is bad and if it can be, should be RMA'd to Intel. Perhaps the seller can give you the original purchase information and you can then RMA the CPU.

Sep 22, 2019
I believe that CPU is damaged.

Have you tried completely doing a CMOS hard reset and then at the default configuration running the Intel diagnostic utility? If it can't run at the stock configuration, then it is bad or the motherboard is bad. Nothing else to it really unless there are other factors like a CPU cooler cranked down too tightly, standoffs in the wrong location under the motherboard (Or loose fasteners) or some non-standard reason. If none of those exist, then the CPU is bad and if it can be, should be RMA'd to Intel. Perhaps the seller can give you the original purchase information and you can then RMA the CPU.
I took the battery out for like ten mins then put it back and everything was at stock and no luck. Just find it weird how it did work when I put it in the first time and it also worked with svid set to worst case scenario which probably means it needs more volts to run at stock.

At stock, it should AUTO configure the voltage in a predetermined range. If it can't POST or run stable within that predetermined range that is assigned by Intel based on many hundreds of hours (Or more) of testing configurations, then there is a problem with the CPU. That problem COULD be that one or two cores are faulty. It happens, though rarely. And if that's the case then it's possible that if there is a core that's faulty it is the core and it's hyperthread that you are disabling, in which case if you don't mind a gimped CPU, it can work. I just personally wouldn't trust anything done with it other than gaming. No critical data, numbers crunching, conversion of audio or video, nothing that might be affected by instability and corruption. And even then, for gaming, I wouldn't trust that whatever game files are saved repeatedly or whatever won't also become corrupted over time.

It's simply not worth the risk, no more than running a bad overclock on your CPU or memory would be worth the risk.

Sep 22, 2019
At stock, it should AUTO configure the voltage in a predetermined range. If it can't POST or run stable within that predetermined range that is assigned by Intel based on many hundreds of hours (Or more) of testing configurations, then there is a problem with the CPU. That problem COULD be that one or two cores are faulty. It happens, though rarely. And if that's the case then it's possible that if there is a core that's faulty it is the core and it's hyperthread that you are disabling, in which case if you don't mind a gimped CPU, it can work. I just personally wouldn't trust anything done with it other than gaming. No critical data, numbers crunching, conversion of audio or video, nothing that might be affected by instability and corruption. And even then, for gaming, I wouldn't trust that whatever game files are saved repeatedly or whatever won't also become corrupted over time.

It's simply not worth the risk, no more than running a bad overclock on your CPU or memory would be worth the risk.
I did try it with hyper threading disabled and it didn’t work either. Am probably just going to try and sell it as it is and see what I can get for it