Question 8700k or 2700x for gaming only ???

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I was looking at the 8700k vs an OC'd Ryzen 5 2600 last fall and for me the extra $100+ for the 8700k was not worth it. With my current setup I get anywhere from 85 to 120 fps in current games set to Ultra at 1080p.
I really don't think the extra few fps I could get would make any real difference to me.
I also like the fact that in a year or two I can simply swap my current CPU for a better one without having to buy a new motherboard.

Quite possible one or more games to have them quite close...

Many other games may give different results, especially in multiplayer games...(important to quite a few, vs. comparing only single player canned benchmarks)

Probably best to review performance in a variety/cross section of different games...

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
^ If you watch the video you'll see it tests 8 different games and not just benchmarks.
And it does show the i7 getting about 10 to even 20 more fps in a few.
But unless you are playing professionally I seriously doubt that 90 fps vs 80 or 125 vs 120 fps will make any noticable difference to the human eye.
I know it doesn't for me.

This Hardware Unboxed video shows similar results:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAJ6BAgFEAg&usg=AOvVaw18qJmRNV2_yNULU9jc8RdM

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the fps cap regardless of resolution. Put in a powerful graphics card, the stronger ipc of the 8700k will deliver more pre-rendered frames but probably at the cost of higher cpu usage. Depends on game and how cpu involved they are. Ai, physics, maps, sound, multiplayer + preparing 100+ frames is a big job for even the best cpus today.

8700k is a great cpu and can handle a lot. So can top end Ryzen's. Ryzen's may not set as high fps cap due to slower ipc but they too get the job done without hitting a usage wall while still giving decent fps.

Zen 2's ipc is rumoured to be a lot better too, competing with 9900k. If true, fps cap can only increase.

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS