Question 8700K or 9700K?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Sort of a follow up question to a thread a week or so ago before I place my order.....I am upgrading primarily for Adobe Lightroom and some occasional gaming.

The 8700K has hyperthreading but fewer cores than the 9700K...honestly, I am not current in the technology to know if that makes any difference for the applications that I use. The price difference is negligible given how long I keep systems.

I understand that Adobe application favor Intel CPUs for some embedded reason...is this still true?

FWIW, I planned on a Gigabyte Aorus Pro MB and have purchased a Scythe Mugen Rev B cooler.

Thanks for the guidance.....

The 9700K is marginally faster in most games by a just a few frames/sec is most games, likely by virtue of it's up to 200 MHz higher turbo...; when both CPUs are OC'd, the 9700K might have a 100 MHz higher OC on average, but, in short..both CPUs do well in gaming....

You can compare assorted CPUs in various games at different resolutions in the video below...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOVfeujof4

You might be able to find some specific Adobe Lightroom benchmarks on Youtube, etc...; I don't know offhand how sensitive Lightroom is to hyperthreading vs. actual cores.

Feb 21, 2019
the 9700K has higher multi score and single thread, so even if the games you want do not use all 8 cores, you would still get more performance than if you where using the 6 core 8700K

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies; I did watch the video and yes it is a little faster than the 8700. But in general they were not really very enthusiastic about this cpu. His analysis is mostly game related.

It would be great to know if hyperthreading is an important function versus two more cores.

Actually, I wonder how the i5-9600K would perform....any insights?

Again, appreciate the help.

Jason Kandola

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I7 8700k vs i5 9600k is mostly on the games. In some games, the i7 would outperform the i5 and the i5 would outperform the i7 in others. The CPU usage is much higher on the i5 compared to the i7. Video editing I would go with the i7 because of hyperthreading.

Jason Kandola

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I would say if you're going to video edit, photoshop anything like that, stick with an i7. Now if you're asking if an i7 9700k would be the better then the 8700k. It depends on how the software uses the CPU. In a multithreaded situation, the i7 8700k can do better then the 9700k. Gaming, the 9700k would outperform the previous gen i7. In my opinion, just get the 9700k since you can afford it.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
So, I don't video edit, but still image edit...if that makes any difference. And if its between the 8700K and 9700K, the real difference is HTing vs 2 more cores. Which is more important to have for image editing? In looking at Puget Systems' articles it isn't clear at least to me.....

The other factor noted earlier is that the 8700K may be getting on in CPU-years.....

just get whatever is cheaper. the processors trade blows with the 9700k winning in most gaming and the 8700k winning in most multicore apps. the 8700k should be significantly cheaper, especially if you live near a microcenter. spend the $40-60 saved on shoring up the other parts of your build. i have been seeing pretty good deals on 32gb of ram lately, i think i saw a c16 3200mhz 32gb kit for under $200. puget systems has some tests on 16gb vs 32gb ram for adobe suite and sometimes it is dramatic depending on your workload. i am not sure if visual aesthetics so cerian ram kits and colorways might be a deciding factor for you. of

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Cheaper? Well, at the moment they are like $40 apart....virtually the same. I would sure like to find out if cores or hyperthreads are preferred in Adobe applications.....again, I am assuming that Intel CPUs perform better than AMDs....if I am wrong, please let me know....

Does anyone have a sense?

thanks