[SOLVED] 8700k Overclock @4.8Ghz.. but voltage is weird.

Nov 24, 2018
I've followed many overclocking guides and im really confused why my voltage is so wacky.
if i set it to 1.350v without LLC On then it won't start... If i turn LLC On Turbo then voltage jumps up to 1.4 - 1.5 and my temps are fine, but i saw in the guides that 1.350v should be max.. is this unusual?
Im using z370 Aorus Gaming 5 Mother board
This is the guide i followed: https://view.joomag.com/z370-oc-guide/0865178001507187695?short

Solution

I have the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 and your vcore is a bit off...I get 4.9GHz at 1.278v with a high LLC setting. At 4.8GHz you should comfortably be below 1.3v. I did try that first overclocking guide but that did not work for me and then I found this forum covering my motherboard and CPU, though it...

I have the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 and your vcore is a bit off...I get 4.9GHz at 1.278v with a high LLC setting. At 4.8GHz you should comfortably be below 1.3v. I did try that first overclocking guide but that did not work for me and then I found this forum covering my motherboard and CPU, though it should work for you too...Be warned it is long thread with many people contributing but I found some of the best settings here and they should be just the same as the Gaming 5's BIOS is the same...Anything above 1.35v is way too much for me and 1.4 and 1.5v is just too much...the forum below should help..

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1640943-gigabyte-aorus-gaming-7-8700k-overclocking-settings-10.html

Solution
Nov 24, 2018

Thanks for responding. I have tried a couple different guides... but it seems like no matter what i do it will just blue screen unless i put it to auto. Im fairly new to this so it is possible i screwed something up, When i try 1280v with a turbo setting my cpu-z says that the voltage fluctuates between 1.4 and 1.5.. really strange.
Why would it blue screen when i change voltage from auto to something like 1350v?

Nov 24, 2018

Is it possible for you to share your settings without it being a hassle? if not don't worry about it :)
Did you still disable all those advanced setting cpu settings like the first guide suggested?

Here are the original base settings I used but tomorrow I will go into my BIOS and right down my current settings as I have it now in Offset/Adaptive mode, which is even better....

CPU Base Clock 100hz
CPU Clock Ratio 48x (changed to 48 for you)
Uncore Ratio 40x

Manual Vcore 1.280v
LLC high

Set memory settings to XMP

No I leave everything else as standard or in it's auto mode
With adaptive mode it's slightly different...

Nov 24, 2018
yes i was using f7 for a couple months.. just updated to f11.
I also tried turning everything to auto and just doing 4.8 at 1.350v, LLC High, seems to keep better voltage stability but it blue screens with realbench asus, pretty weird...
Should i just revert back to default and just change multiplier and see what the voltage does? if i remember correctly thats when it reaches 1.4v.. but I've tried so many things it's hard to keep track now.

Also, thanks so much for helping. You're the man :D

Nov 24, 2018
I just put Vcore to 1.350v @ 4.8 and got it stable for 5 mins on real bench but the temps were getting to high 90's so i stopped it. Should i leave it assuming that my workloads won't reach 100%? Or should i lower try to lower my voltage as much as possible and see if that helps with temps?

noctua nh-d15 is my air cooler (1 fan) other one won't fit

Nov 24, 2018
Now im at 1.3350v 4.8ghz and that seems to be working.. Atleast its not jumping around 1.4 now
Although when looking at HWmonitor it shows alot of jumping around 1.380v to 1.490v.. and cpuz is at a stable 1.3ish... is cpu-z inaccurate?