8700k Overclock stability

codeypalmer

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
So im doing some stress testing and want to know from someone who actually knows what theyre doing. When using aida 64 to do stress testing do you need to have cpu and fpu checked when doing the stress test. Even at a 4.6 ghz oc my cpu reaches low 90s when both are checked but when just one or the other is checked temps are fine. Prime 95 temps are great as well but not when cpu and fpu are checked on aida 64. So i guess my question is is it necessary to use both when testing the stability of my overclock

codeypalmer

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Let me add that if i check box

CPU
FPU
and Cache

That the temps are actually even better than if i just check
CPU and FPU.

What should i use for stability?

Please dont ask me if my cooler is mounted properly or anything like that lol

I used the default in AIDA64, which I thought had CPU only checked...; I'd imagine checking everything (cpu/fpu/cache) is the equivalent of flooring your car full throttle in the garage, and wondering why it is heating up.

Prime95 v28.x heats up the CPU by 8-10 more C than does v26.6....if your cpu will take that, it will stand any game.....or Blender, etc...

codeypalmer

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

I appreciate the response. The reason im asking is because when i have all three of those checked i get lower temps than with just cpu and fpu. Any reason why? My theory is because its cycling through the tests and fpu is by far the hottest one and by cycling through cache it somehow lowers temps. Im not sure and would love a response on this for one reason.

If i have all three checked then we are good to go. Temps are ok roughly 8 to 10 degress colder. Stable.

If i just have cpu and fpu checked then the temps are no longer justifiable regardless if its stable

Prime95 v26.1 will heat a cpu to all it's ever going to heat up within 30 minutes, and, often temps stop rising after 10-15 minutes *if* your cooling solution is adequate....... (In fact, Intel's Extremem Tuning Utility/stress test/cpu will heat the CPU just as well as Prime95, at least using my 7700K as an example...

If you can run either for an hour, you are stable, IMO....as long as you have no other crashes in any other applications....

No typical gaming load will approach Prime95- level loads.

codeypalmer

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

yeah for some reason my h100i v2 isnt enough to cool my 8700k at 4.8 ghz with 1.28 volts. Hell hardly cools it at 4.6 with 1.2 volts. Thinking im just gonna go with the kraken x72 or whatever (360mm aio from nzxt) so i can push it farther while hopefully having better temps. I think i gotta bad chip