8700k overclocking Questions

Mar 22, 2018
-Msi pro carbon ac z370
-Corsair h100i with 2 x 120mm Corsair lp120 rgb fans

Currently overclocking my 8700k and just not finding the voltage to work and I’d also like to mention I’m clearly a novice with OC. I was able to achieve 4.6 @ 1.20 and no lower voltage to be completely stable with 12 hours of prime 95 and some cinebench runs. Currently working my way up @4.8 from 1.255 to 1.27 all not working. 1.27 was working and I clicked on a YouTube video thinking that shouldn’t do anything (while running prime95 for 7 hours) it caused the crash. Considering after 7 hours of prime95 my temps actually start to go down for some reason I assumed a video would be fine but clicking the link just crashed it.

So I’m currently at 4.8 ghz with 1.28 volts running for an hour so far. Temps went down to 69 now and started at 81 for a minute, went down to 77 for 20 minutes give or take and now are at 70. I tried opening a YouTube video again since I assume this should be easily capable of doing this while running prime and it has succeeded without crashing and I stopped the video. Now it’s still running and I’ll go over my questions.

-If this overclock works would you all agree that these temps are good/ok especially considering my cooling

-why do my prime temps always go down the longer it’s testing? I just downloaded the top 64 bit prime 95 link (I think it was the only link) and my temps keep going down over time even though the test continues to run

-any tips for if this overclock decides to fail on me? When running cine my cpu got to 84. That temp doesn’t scare me since it’s not sitting there or even close when using prime. But if you disagree or have another opinion please let me know

Mar 22, 2018
Ok so 1.28 worked for awhile and even an hour of aida 64 just cpu stress testing. No fpu because it took the temps to 90s right away and even prime 95 doesn’t do that. I have it on 1.29 at the moment running at a high of 78c on Aida 64. Since this is the second time my overclock seemed to work but failed while playing assassins creed i guess I’ll give it a go again

Mar 22, 2018
I’m starting to believe I might now be able to do 4.8ghz... when I use cine bench at 1.285 or even 1.29 it goes into the 90c territory and actually crashed in blender just moving a rendered picture around. I really thought that every chip should be able to do 4.8