[SOLVED] 8700k overclocking temps stock

Steeler1994

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
So im just getting into overclocking and put a Noctua dh15 on my 8700k. I ran a test of Cinebench to get a benchmark on stock with intel turbo before starting and I'm not sure why my temps are so high at 100% load. Obviously the 8700k runs hot, but not sure if I have headroom to start. Idle temps are anywhere between 30-33c. Any help would be appreciated.

My case is NZXT S340 Elite.
Motherboard is Asrock Extreme 4

There are my load temps in the link.

100% load temps

Solution
Too much info missing from your end:
-gpu
-room ambient
-chassis ambient(always warmer than room ambient, but to varying degrees)
-chassis fan setup
-Cinebench version and length(R15, 20, and 23 are not the same, and each newer one being more up to date than the last)
-motherboard settings: things like manual/adaptive Vcore, and Load Line Calibration setting

What can be relayed from the current info provided thus far:
1)Cinebench isn't a cooler thermal test, but a Voltage stability one. The load fluctuates too much to test cooler stability.
-Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 Off, 15-20 mins. Try to stay below 80C, but don't exceed 85C.
-OCCT, Small Data Set, Normal Mode, Steady Load Type, SSE Instruction Set, 15-20 mins. Try to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-gpu
-room ambient
-chassis fan setup
-Cinebench version and length(R15, 20, and 23 are not the same, and each newer one being more up to date than the last)
-motherboard settings: things like manual/adaptive Vcore, and Load Line Calibration setting

1)Cinebench isn't a cooler thermal test, but a Voltage stability one. The load fluctuates too much to test cooler stability.
-Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX/AVX2/AVX-512 Off, 15-20 mins. Try to stay below 80C, but don't exceed 85C.
-OCCT, Small Data Set, Normal Mode, Steady Load Type, SSE Instruction Set, 15-20 mins. Try to stay below 80C, but don't exceed 85C.
Those would be the go-to thermal stability tests.

2)The current chassis may hinder your overclocking endeavors.
All coolers' efficiency is affected by how much air the chassis allows through it, and for the S340 Elite, both intake and exhaust are strained; can't get larger volumes of fresh air in needed for the OC'ed part, and can't get the extra heat produced from OC'ing out as effectively.

TL;DR: Even if the missing info were corrected, it does not look like you have much room to work with.

I feel like I forgot something...

Solution

Steeler1994

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
-gpu
-room ambient
-chassis fan setup

-OCCT, Small Data Set, Normal Mode, Steady Load Type, SSE Instruction Set, 15-20 mins. Try to stay below 80C, but don't exceed 85C.
Those would be the go-to thermal stability tests.

2)The current chassis may hinder your overclocking endeavors.
All coolers' efficiency is affected by how much air the chassis allows through it, and for the S340 Elite, both intake and exhaust are strained; can't get larger volumes of fresh air in needed for the OC'ed part, and can't get the extra heat produced from OC'ing out as effectively.

TL;DR: Even if the missing info were corrected, it does not look like you have much room to work with.

I feel like I forgot something...

So I was thinking about why and just reseated my cooler, I'm now getting 58-60c 100% load on everything auto just like before and 23-26 idle. I dont know when I messed it up, but that appears to have fixed it. Used Prime95, Small FFT and was well below what I had before. Now begins my overclock adventure and see where I can take this thing. Thanks for the help!