[SOLVED] 8700k running @4.4-4.7ghz on all cores even while usage at 1-4% ?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
As the title says, my 8700k is running all cores rather high at all times for some reason.
Even if everything is closed and CPU usage is at 1-4% the lowest the cores freq drops is about 4.3 but usually its around 4.5-4.6.
Temps are not an issue as I have good cooling and the chip has been de-lidded., running at 31-43c even while all cores are hitting 4.7ghz.

Can someone recommend some settings to check for this? I'd like it to relax when there is nothing for it to be doing!
Thanks

View: https://imgur.com/a/Y1DfF16

Solution
Within WIndows power plan settings, are you perhaps locked in Performance mode?

(I've left my rig in Balanced, which seems to work fine for me, scaling down to as low as 800 Mhz if just staring at a desktop, but, scaling to as high as 4.7 GHz instantly under load...)

(I've left my rig in Balanced, which seems to work fine for me, scaling down to as low as 800 Mhz if just staring at a desktop, but, scaling to as high as 4.7 GHz instantly under load...)

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

I do indeed have it in high performance mode, but in "Processor Power State" I have the minimum set to 10%. I am guessing the power plan overrides this then...

Based on the behavior I see in Balanced Power plan, I would never see the need for Performance mode, as under load in Balanced, it stays at max turbo, then throttles down wehn not really buy, with brief bursts to 1.13 to 2.26 GHz or so when opening/closing apps, watching Youtube, etc., and sits at about 800 MHz 50% of the time if doing nothing...all as designed. (No need to tinker with any minimum usage states, leave at defaults..