Hi guys,
Just got a new gaming rig
I7-8700k
Msi z390 tomahawk motherboard
Msi rtx2070 armor
Corsair 16gb vengeance lpx ram
Fractal design meshify c case
Cooler master ml240l

The cpu is stock with no OC but i find i am reaching 80c - 90c degree temps after 30mins of battlefoeld 5 (on a 35c degree day)

This seems very high for stock cpu??
Any ideas why?

Feb 4, 2019
Pump seems to be working fine so may need re pasting.
Also fans don’t seem to come on until around 60 degrees so may play around with bios settings too.
Thanks for all your help

Feb 4, 2019
So the fans on the cpu cooler seem to be the issue. In the bios the cpu fans are set to run at 25% at 40 degrees but it says my cpu is currently at 52 degrees and fans are at 0rpm..
am i missing something obvious or is there a way to active test the fans and see where the problem lies??
Cheers

Phazoner

Distinguished
You have probably plugged the fans cable in the wrong socket. the pump needs to work at 100% all the time so it has to be plugged in the pump fan, a sys_fan or any three-pinned socket (which are positive, negative and ground). The fans have to be plugged in the cpu_fan which is a four-pinned socket (the fourth is the one which allows to read and manage the speed).

Anyways for what you written I think your fans are spinning, right? They should be working loud and at 100% if not connected to the CPU_FAN so anyways they should be cooling, so I insist in reseating the pump.

Feb 4, 2019
No i am 100% sure the fans are the issue. The pump and fans are plugged into the correct sockets and the pump is working fine but the fans only seem to work sometimes. If i set the cpu fans to run at 100% in the bios the don’t spin at all. If i set the smart fan mode so it varies the speed in the bios they spin only intermittently. Sometimes unplugging and plugging the fans back in gets them spinning again but then they stop as soon as i load a game up but will keep spinning for hours if i’m just web browsing.
I’m not sure if it is the fans or the mobo that is the problem. I will try a different socket next just for testing and also try setting a low speed on the fans and run a game to see if they still stop..

Feb 4, 2019
Looks like the problem is a faulty motherboard. With the fans connected to CPU_FAN1 in the bios it shows 0rpm and that the socket is disconnected even when the fans are spinning. When i tried plugging the cpu fans into SYS_FAN2 i can see them connected in the bios and control the speeds and everything works as it should.

So based on that am i roght in assuming the CPU_FAN1 socket is faulty on the motherboard??

Phazoner

Distinguished
Both fans or the MoBo can be the problem then, have you any other fan sockets to plug it in? Maybe there's one that can also be dinamically controlled or at least fix a speed. You can also plug the CPU fans in the SYS_FAN both for testing and as a solution. When you find out the faulty component maybe you have still warranty to get a new one.

Feb 4, 2019
Since the fans work perfectly while connected to SYS_FAN2 but do not work when plugged into CPU_FAN1 i am pretty sure the mobo is the issue. I have booked it in to get tested and replaced under warranty.
Thanks heaps for all your help