8700k temps jumping?

Mar 21, 2018
hello, i'm wondering if my CPU temp should be fluctuating up and down? right now while surfing the internet and watching YouTube videos my CPU package temp is going from 31,30, 41,33,35,43. its not going any higher than 45c . i have re-seated the CPU cooler once before because i put it on upside down. i'm hoping i seated it right, my idle temps before the re-seat was in the 27c range but that was with 2 more 120mm exhaust fans on top, i had to remove them cause of how small my case is. Is the temp supposed to be one temp or is it supposed to jump around like that?

The 27c temp was shown in the bios (i never checked it on anything else, im new to desktops and at that time had no clue how to find temps without being in the bios.)

The second temps are from the corsair Icue software.

my setup is:
Phantek enthoo pro m TG
asus hero x wifi
8700k stock settings with mce on
16gb of tridant z ram
noctua d15s
3 noctua 140mm case fans ( 2 intake . 1 exhaust )
1 noctua 120mm case fan ( exhaust)

Solution
My CPU temperature also jumps around quite a lot. Same happens to the GPU when in use.

They aren't used constantly to the same extent. There are a lot of things happening at once and some require power than others.

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Most cpus jump around on temp quite a lot under any kind of load, I think you're fine. Could also be some background tasks making it jump around too. If you have thermal paste and fan, should be all good

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
My CPU temperature also jumps around quite a lot. Same happens to the GPU when in use.

They aren't used constantly to the same extent. There are a lot of things happening at once and some require power than others.

Solution