[SOLVED] 8700K vs Ryzen 5800X

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
I'm in the process of building a new PC, and how much of a CPU performance jump will I see upgrading from a Core i7 8700K to a Ryzen 5800X?

Will there be a noticeable increase in games?

Solution
Yes you will have a noticeable performance increase depending on graphics card! Is it worth it?? I'm not so sure. The 8700k is still a very capable card capable of pushing more than 144fps with a good gpu. My 2 cents would be to wait until the new platform with ddr5 ram is released. I myself have a i7 8700 paired with a 3070 and like you also have to itch to upgrade. But have decided for my needs my cpu is capable of running all games I play fine.

Long story short, if your cpu is holding your gaming experience back then yes an upgrade is worth it. If not wait till the next platform with ddr5 ram.

Hope this helps

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Yes you will have a noticeable performance increase depending on graphics card! Is it worth it?? I'm not so sure. The 8700k is still a very capable card capable of pushing more than 144fps with a good gpu. My 2 cents would be to wait until the new platform with ddr5 ram is released. I myself have a i7 8700 paired with a 3070 and like you also have to itch to upgrade. But have decided for my needs my cpu is capable of running all games I play fine.

Long story short, if your cpu is holding your gaming experience back then yes an upgrade is worth it. If not wait till the next platform with ddr5 ram.

Hope this helps

Solution

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Maybe, maybe not, depends on your GPU and what resolution you game at.

This guys benchmarks dont show a significant difference

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETEbXPcAjw&ab_channel=TheSpyHood

I agree larsv8. Unless OP has an extremely high refresh monitor at 1080p 240hz+ and the games he plays can take advantage of that. Then the 5800x will produce a considerable increase of frames for the gpu to proccess therefore increasing fps. ( Correct me if im wrong but aren't most of those games on the benchmark mainly gpu bound anyway?)
I still stand by my argument of seeing what the ddr5 platform will show in 2022 when it comes out as that would be a more worthwhile upgrade imo.
What he has now is still fine for gaming. But it all depends on what gpu he wants to pair with it if he has or wants to purchase a new inflated one.

BTW nice rig if thats yours you must be super stoked :)

AMD Ryzen 5800x
Gigabyte B550 Aurorus Master
G.Skill Trident 4x8 3600 - 16CL
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra
Firecuda 520 2 TB
48 inch LG CX OLED

Maybe, maybe not, depends on your GPU and what resolution you game at.

This guys benchmarks dont show a significant difference

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETEbXPcAjw&ab_channel=TheSpyHood

I mostly agree, it does depend on the resolution you game at and your GPU. I also agree with the above statement that if you can hold off for awhile till Intel and AMD release DDR5 based platforms. Both statements are true. One thing that I would like to point out though is the linked video is skewed. The test was set up with the 5800X running an all core overclock of 4.6Ghz. That isn't a bad all core overclock and for productivity would be the way to go, but for gaming you are "kneecapping" the 5800X. By setting an all core overclock of 4.6Ghz you are giving up the single / dual core boosting available though PBO. The 5800X can boost to 4.8Ghz single core (dual core) without breaking a sweat and if optimized can easily hit 4.85 - 5Ghz. For gaming its best to optimize PBO and the curve optimizer, if you set an all core overclock you give up the single core boost and are leaving gaming performance on the table.