Jun 24, 2019
is gigabyte z390 gaming x capable of overclocking an i7 8700k at 5ghz 1.35vcore?
also what are those pins in the top right near the xmp led, its not written in the manual
i havent overclocked it yet, and of course i will run tests to lower the vcore, do u have any suggestions for another vcore to start with?
and also opinions about the mobo

Solution
Instead of the perceived Holy Grail of Useful 5 GHz' operation, why not see what clock speeds can be achieved with stability at default core voltage first? Star with all core MCE operation at 4.7 GHz, then increase 100 MHz at a time, testing for stability. At some point, a core voltage bump might be needed to go any further, but, temps go up very quickly at that point. For example, would you rather have 4.8 or 4.9 GHz with 75C temps, or, raise core voltage and be at 93C to achieve the magical 5 GHz, with it's only 1-2 extra frames per second performance increases in 90% GPU limited tasks?
It's 10+2 Power phase design, it should be good for overclocking but, its not the only limiting factor.... it depends also on the cpu itself, the cooler, power supply etc...Personal opinion on this exact motherboard i don't have, but personally I don't have great experience with Gigabyte motherboards....

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

The extra connector is a additional 4 pin CPU power connector not really needed but could be in your case since your overclocking. If you talking about the top left where the 8 pin connector is.

5.0 is not a magic number from 4.9 to it you would probably never see any difference. It's also going to depend on how good your cooler is.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019

The extra connector is a additional 4 pin CPU power connector not really needed but could be in your case since your overclocking. If you talking about the top left where the 8 pin connector is.

5.0 is not a magic number from 4.9 to it you would probably never see any difference. It's also going to depend on how good your cooler is.
This mobo has on the top right some pins, i was not talking about cpu 12v pins, i got coolermaster ml240l as cooling

Jun 24, 2019
It's 10+2 Power phase design, it should be good for overclocking but, its not the only limiting factor.... it depends also on the cpu itself, the cooler, power supply etc...Personal opinion on this exact motherboard i don't have, but personally I don't have great experience with Gigabyte motherboards....
Cooler: coolermaster ml240l
Psu 750w
Cpu is not delidded

Instead of the perceived Holy Grail of Useful 5 GHz' operation, why not see what clock speeds can be achieved with stability at default core voltage first? Star with all core MCE operation at 4.7 GHz, then increase 100 MHz at a time, testing for stability. At some point, a core voltage bump might be needed to go any further, but, temps go up very quickly at that point. For example, would you rather have 4.8 or 4.9 GHz with 75C temps, or, raise core voltage and be at 93C to achieve the magical 5 GHz, with it's only 1-2 extra frames per second performance increases in 90% GPU limited tasks?

Solution
Jun 24, 2019
I would rather having the cooler option, thanks for your idea