[SOLVED] 8700non k & 1080gtx ti 1440p vs 1080p for high FPS.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Hi, so basically i am going to upgrade my current Asus VG248QE 24" monitor to either a 1080p or 1440p monitor that is 27"w/ adaptive sync.

MY MAIN concern is FPS. I am kinda an "FPS NUT". So far with my current setup, i don't drop below 100fps for ALL my games set on ULTRA. Other than maybe here and there going below 80fps depending on how intense the action gets.

My question is that stick on getting a 1080p monitor with a high refresh rate and adaptive sync, KNOWING that i will always maintain high FPS

OR

Get
a 1440p monitor where i have seen gameplay footages with my PC setup where the FPS does go below 80fps at times. Someone who plays First Person shooter alot i can tell when i go below 90fps VS going above 100fps, and ofcourse i like to stay above 100fps at all times. 1440p does look good from what i have seen so far, the colors are much richer, but i am more of a frames guy VS quality guy. BUT, at the same time getting a 1440p monitor maybe futureproof? Since i always upgrade my GPU at least every 2 to 3 years.

What would you recommend? And what Monitor would you recommend? BTW i have to purchase my monitor through Canadacomputer, so if you find any monitors that should fit my build please provide those links. Thanks.

Solution
1440p does look good from what i have seen so far, the colors are much richer...
A monitor having a higher resolution like 1440p won't have any direct effect on color quality. Colors of one monitor may be better than another, but that's independent of resolution. You can get rich colors on both 1080p and 1440p screens, depending on what sort of screen technology the monitor is using.

What a 1440p resolution does is adds more pixels to the image, making it sharper. Whereas a 1920x1080 screen contains about 2.1 million pixels, a 2560x1440 screen contains 3.7 million pixels, resulting in an image made up of nearly 80% more dots. That creates a sharper image, but will definitely lower frame rates by a decent amount in...
1440p does look good from what i have seen so far, the colors are much richer...
A monitor having a higher resolution like 1440p won't have any direct effect on color quality. Colors of one monitor may be better than another, but that's independent of resolution. You can get rich colors on both 1080p and 1440p screens, depending on what sort of screen technology the monitor is using.

What a 1440p resolution does is adds more pixels to the image, making it sharper. Whereas a 1920x1080 screen contains about 2.1 million pixels, a 2560x1440 screen contains 3.7 million pixels, resulting in an image made up of nearly 80% more dots. That creates a sharper image, but will definitely lower frame rates by a decent amount in most games, as your graphics card needs to work harder to render more pixels.

Typically, moving from 1080p to 1440p in graphically-demanding games at ultra settings will tend to drop frame rates by around 25-35%, depending on the game. On average, it should cut about a third off your frame rates. So if you were averaging 100 fps in a particular game at 1080p, you might only average somewhere around 70 fps at 1440p, which is definitely something worth considering if you value high frame rates.

Solution

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013

What a 1440p resolution does is adds more pixels to the image, making it sharper. Whereas a 1920x1080 screen contains about 2.1 million pixels, a 2560x1440 screen contains 3.7 million pixels, resulting in an image made up of nearly 80% more dots. That creates a sharper image, but will definitely lower frame rates by a decent amount in most games, as your graphics card needs to work harder to render more pixels.

Typically, moving from 1080p to 1440p in graphically-demanding games at ultra settings will tend to drop frame rates by around 25-35%, depending on the game. On average, it should cut about a third off your frame rates. So if you were averaging 100 fps in a particular game at 1080p, you might only average somewhere around 70 fps at 1440p, which is definitely something worth considering if you value high frame rates.

Thank you for that info. Yes, i am more of a HIGH FPS vs Quality type of person. I am having a very hard time deciding between a 1080 144hz or 165hz monitor VS 1440p 144hz to 165hz monitor.

Ocourse if i go with 1440p monitor i am spending about 300buks more VS a 1080 gaming monitor. Here are my top two choices:

1440p:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=140135

1080:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1104&item_id=131980

Both have gsync tech, and that's what's most important to me. But, now with your information, i might as well just stick with 1080p gaming, save alot of money, and most important to me is to maintain 100fps above at all times. Cause i can tell a difference once i drop below 90fps. I am very happy with my current Asus VG248qe, but would like bit bigger of a screen and have gsync.

Also moving to 27" from 24" will i see any pixels up close? I have a typical desktop pc set up where the monitor is about two to three feet away from my face.

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
What sort of games do you usually play?

PS: You can still make use of Freesync with an Nvidia GPU on most Freesync monitors.

I mean i don't really have any particular type. Usually whatever high end games that come out i play. I would like to play soon RedDead2 at a constant 100fps above all at Ultra settings. After upgrading from 1070gtx to 1080gtx ti, i have seen a BIG difference in smooth FPS/high FPS gaming, and the fact i don't drop anywhere below 100fps for all my games currently is very important to me.

Angelo191

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
I mean i don't really have any particular type. Usually whatever high end games that come out i play. I would like to play soon RedDead2 at a constant 100fps above all at Ultra settings. After upgrading from 1070gtx to 1080gtx ti, i have seen a BIG difference in smooth FPS/high FPS gaming, and the fact i don't drop anywhere below 100fps for all my games currently is very important to me.
If you're aiming for the latest titles at ultra with 100 FPS+ (especially if you're going for 144 Hz), I would not go for the 2K. RedDead2 struggles to run properly even at the highest end setups due to optimization issues. Going from 1k to 2k automatically means you will be sacrificing FPS on some heavy titles, unless you plan to run them on high or medium in some cases.

If your concern is FPS on all games at ultra, I would stay on 1080p, if you want better visuals (that is presuming you're sitting at a reasonable distance away from your monitor), then go for the 2k, you can still run ultra at 144hz on many games but not all.

Reactions: fpshooterful

fpshooterful

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
If you're aiming for the latest titles at ultra with 100 FPS+ (especially if you're going for 144 Hz), I would not go for the 2K. RedDead2 struggles to run properly even at the highest end setups due to optimization issues. Going from 1k to 2k automatically means you will be sacrificing FPS on some heavy titles, unless you plan to run them on high or medium in some cases.

If your concern is FPS on all games at ultra, I would stay on 1080p, if you want better visuals (that is presuming you're sitting at a reasonable distance away from your monitor), then go for the 2k, you can still run ultra at 144hz on many games but not all.

Thanks for the info, yes i kinda figured that 2k would take up more FPS, but just didn't know how much more. Everyone keeps telling me to with 2k QHD type of monitor due to my setup, but i don't want to end up being 70 to 90fps. I can appreciate quality, but i am more of a performance guy. I guess i will REALLY find out what type of monitor i need once i go to my local COMP shop and see the LIVE demo. That is IF they have the live demo of the monitor that i want.

If i can bring my own SSD with games installed and test the monitor to a similar setup as mine at my local Comp shop then i can at least get a better understand to what frames i would be expecting.

If i can bring my own SSD with games installed and test the monitor to a similar setup as mine at my local Comp shop then i can at least get a better understand to what frames i would be expecting.

It doesn't work like that. You can't bring a SSD with games on it and plug it in on another PC and start playing.

Also, 1080p on a 27" looks bad IMO. I wouldn't go over 24" @ 1080p.

Angelo191

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
It doesn't work like that. You can't bring a SSD with games on it and plug it in on another PC and start playing.

Also, 1080p on a 27" looks bad IMO. I wouldn't go over 24" @ 1080p.
Depends on how far you are sitting from the monitor, if you're too close, you'll see that it won't look good in comparaison to a 23-24 inch. But yes, generally, 1080p fits 21-24 inch at max to keep a decent pixel density. 2k goes with 27 inch.

Another option could be ultrawide 2560x1080 resolution, which has the same vertical resolution as 1080p, but the horizontal resolution of 1440p screen, which results in performance in-between those two resolutions. At that resolution, the performance hit wouldn't be quite as large, probably closer to a 15% reduction on average rather than 30%.

Just note that since screens are measure diagonally, if you want similar area as a 27" 16:9 aspect ratio screen, a 21:9 ultrawide would need to be at least 29" in size. An ultrawide screen that size would have a similar height and pixel density as a 24" standard widescreen display, but would be about 33% wider, with 33% more pixels. The other common size for 1920x1080 ultrawide screens is 34", which offers similar height and pixel density to a 27" standard widescreen display, but again, being 33% wider.

There's a useful utility at this site that helps you calculate screen dimensions and area just by entering the resolution and diagonal measurement, if you want to see how screen sizes compare at different aspect ratios...

https://www.sven.de/dpi

I would like to play soon RedDead2 at a constant 100fps above all at Ultra settings.
RDR2 is apparently a really demanding game, so you probably won't be able to maintain 100fps even at 1080p with ultra settings enabled. Part of that's due to "ultra" settings in that game going a bit overboard on some effects though. The graphics in the console versions would be more equivalent to having many of the settings turned down to medium and low. Some effects have minimal affect on visuals while having a bit effect on performance though, so you might want to check an optimization guide to determine which settings can be turned down to boost performance while still maintaining near-ultra visuals if you want to stay over 100fps.