[SOLVED] 88 Celcius on stress?

Feb 14, 2020
Hello there,

I Bought a Intel Core i7 8700 Processor 1.5 Years ago and i used it with stock cooler until today. I had 75-85 celcius while gaming [Pubg,Witcher3] with the stock cooler then i remembered that i had a Raijintek Themis from my old pc and i installed it, because i read some articles and watched some reviews also read some reviews it is actually a good cooler. The problem is that when i stress my CPU i see a %11 throtle and 88 Celcius. Is 88 celcius too much while stressing? I Play with 65-75 celcius while gaming with the new cpu cooler.

Note: I have 2 intake case fans and 1 exhaust. Room Temp is 23.5c. The airflow is ok because the only visible cable is the pci that goes to my gpu. No Dust, New thermal paste, CPU Cooler sits well.

Solution
darkdaking,

With all AIDA64 stress tests selected (CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory), the actual peak workload is about 78.5%. According to the information you provided, with your ambient temperature at 23.5°C, this specific AIDA64 stress test workload combination drives your Core temperatures to peak at 88°C, where Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Moreover, if you were to test using a 100% workload, your Core temperatures would be significantly higher. Also, keep in mind that as indoor ambient temperatures increase with seasonal changes, your Core temperatures will also increase by an equal amount.

Taking these factors into consideration, this means that your Raijintek Themis CPU cooler is capable of adequately...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... i7 8700 ... stock cooler ... had 75-85 celcius ... gaming ... Raijintek Themis ... stress my CPU i see a %11 throtle ... Is 88 celcius too much while stressing? I Play with 65-75 celcius while gaming with the new cpu cooler ... Room Temp is 23.5c ... No Dust, New thermal paste, CPU Cooler sits well.

Which "stress" test?

Please be very specific, as stress test vary widely with respect to the type and actual level of the workload a particular stress test applies, which directly affects Core temperatures.

And yes, 88°C is too high, but again, it depends on which stress test you ran.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

CT :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Yes, but which AIDA64 "Stress Test(s)"?

AIDA64 has 4 CPU related Stress Test selections (CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory) which have 15 possible combinations that yield 15 different workloads and Core temperatures. As you can see from the scale below, the individual CPU test is only 70% workload, while the individual FPU test is about 115% workload. The CPU / FPU test combination is about 90% workload.

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Games, apps, streaming, rendering, transcoding and most utilities have partial, fluctuating workloads with fluctuating Core temperatures that are not well suited for testing thermal performance.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Ydre0YW.jpg

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload.

So which test(s)?

throttling under anything more than short, moderately heavy loads was considered quite commonplace for /with Intel-provided box coolers with the 8400/8700 during their testing (per Hardware Unboxed testing) a few years back...

80-85C is not really throttling...; it's just annoyingly high.

At 100C, it will....

If it is worth it to you to spend the money on it, get a Scythe Mugen 5...

Reactions: darkdaking
Feb 14, 2020
throttling under anything more than short, moderately heavy loads was considered quite commonplace for /with Intel-provided box coolers with the 8400/8700 during their testing (per Hardware Unboxed testing) a few years back...

80-85C is not really throttling...; it's just annoyingly high.

At 100C, it will....

If it is worth it to you to spend the money on it, get a Scythe Mugen 5...
hmm, i will check it

CompuTronix

Intel Master
darkdaking,

With all AIDA64 stress tests selected (CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory), the actual peak workload is about 78.5%. According to the information you provided, with your ambient temperature at 23.5°C, this specific AIDA64 stress test workload combination drives your Core temperatures to peak at 88°C, where Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Moreover, if you were to test using a 100% workload, your Core temperatures would be significantly higher. Also, keep in mind that as indoor ambient temperatures increase with seasonal changes, your Core temperatures will also increase by an equal amount.

Taking these factors into consideration, this means that your Raijintek Themis CPU cooler is capable of adequately cooling a sustained maximum workload of around 70%, which is about where most CPU intensive games peak.

To put this into perspective, as the games you currently play drive your Core temperatures to peak at 75°C, as long as you don't attempt to run heavier workloads such as rendering and transcoding which can approach 100% workload, your cooling solution is adequate for the conditions under which you utilize your computer.

The bottom line is that you're good to game, so enjoy your rig!

Solution
Feb 14, 2020
darkdaking,

Taking these factors into consideration, this means that your Raijintek Themis CPU cooler is capable of adequately cooling a sustained maximum workload of around 70%, which is about where most CPU intensive games peak.

To put this into perspective, as the games you currently play drive your Core temperatures to peak at 75°C, as long as you don't attempt to run heavier workloads such as rendering and transcoding which can approach 100% workload, your cooling solution is adequate for the conditions under which you utilize your computer.

The bottom line is that you're good to game, so enjoy your rig!

Thanks a lot Mr.Moderator. You were so kind and helpful <3