8800 GT SLI worth it for my set up?

roma8709

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hey, I am thinking about upgrading my system and adding another 8800 GT. First off, this set up is in my HTPC and the 8800 GT is just short enough to fit (about 9.5 inches long), the 200 series are to long for my set up to my knowledge

I run my games at mostly 1024 × 768 on my projector. Will I see a benefit from SLI by running at this resolution?
Currently I can run COD4 , GRID, Pure, and Oblivion fine. Far Cry 2 lags on max settings, I can only run far cry 2 on high. I would like to smooth this game out. I haven't even tried Crysis yet. Other games I hope to run Assassins Creed, GTA, and Bio Shock.

My current set up it
Asus A8N SLI deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
4 Gig DDR 1
Windows XP Pro
EVGA 8800 GT
550watt PSU SLI compatible

I really don't want to buy a new motherboard and CPU becuase I plan on building a new gaming rig in a year, just let me know if the card upgrade would be worth the 100 bucks.

roma8709

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Ok well I am trying to save as much money as possible. If i were to say replace the cpu with a AMD duel or quad core, get a new SLI mobo and a 2nd 8800 GT, 4-8GB DDR2. I am thinking that would be enough power to last me at least untill winter 2011 before a complete new build? What do you think.

I would suggest this course of action:
Replace the MB/CPU/RAM but unless your version of XP is 64 bit, only install 4GB, because a 32 bit operating system can only use 4Gb.
See how it works, because I strongly suspect the new components will release enough performance from the 8800 to render those games playable at that resolution.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
well, not so sure about it lasting that long due to dx 11 on the horizon but it will last awhile. Really though, if i was in your shoes, id wait and save my money till windows 7's dx11 comes out so you can have dx11 hardware.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
honestly, if you are planning on building a completely new rig in a year or so, I say overclock your cpu a bit to get a little more out of it since your graphics capability is very CPU bound. Also SLI is pretty much never worth it at the resolution of 1024x768, so I wouldn't even bother thinking about it if you play at that resolution. I know that motherboard is capable of overclocking and bumping that up a bit might be just enough to get you through the next year before you upgrade to a whole new system. I am also still running a socket 939 setup and am for the most part still happy with it. My current system is in my sig and I am still happy with it at the moment.

roma8709

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys! One last question. At what resolutions does SLI start becoming worthwhile? My projector can display a max resolution of 1280x720.
thanks again

@ Roma: MUCH, much higher than that;)
I think with a new CPU, you'll find that old 8800 gets a new lease of life, but, if not, you could always hold off, as Rambo117 says until the new DX11 hardware comes out (somewhere around October...possibly).
And yes, you will need a new CPU/MB/RAM, no one makes chips for that motherboard any more and it uses DDR memory, which cannot be used on a new MB, which will use DDR2 (just in case you did not know).

pauldh

Illustrious

All SLI needs is profile support and a GPU limited situation (just like any more powerful GPU solution). There is no magic resolution where SLI work's or doesn't work. Remove the CPU/system limitation, and SLI can show good scaling at any resolution. Cranking insane levels of FSAA is a way to see let SLI shine at lower resolution. As an example, in Crysis I've seen SLI scale over 70% at 1024x768. Try Crysis in DX10 very high with just 2xaa on one & two 8800GT you'll see huge scaling from SLI (if still not system limited)

But, to echo all the other responses, you are CPU limited so it would not be worth adding a second 8800GT.

You are at a point where it is really kind of useless to spend money on what you have. The money is better spent on a new platform. You will see very little return for any monies you spend on the old socket 939 platform.
You can spend a little, get very little back in return.
Or save some, spend a little more, and see a big performance improvement.
I was there once, I had a Socket 939 4600X2, and a 8800GTS. (the BIG G92 version with 128 stream processors)
I spent $300 on a AM2+ board, Phenom 920, and 4 gig of DDR2.
My 3D mark score went from like to 8500 to 13,900, and if I jump my CPU to 3ghz, and overclock my GTS a little, it will show well over 15,200.
Wow, so glad I did that, you do not even know how glad.
You could do something similar, keep your 8800GT for a bit.