8800 GTS Issue

JediSlayerX

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hey all, I am in need of help asap... My system is a dell inspiron 518 w/ a few upgrades... WD 1.5GB HDD, 600W Suntec PSU,
XFX 9600 GSO 768MB version... Well a friend gave me a BFG Geforce 8800 GTS OC 640 MB Card and i just wanted to check the clock cores n such against my 9600 so i put it in and booted up... well all i got was a black screen BUT I heard windows boot up... I didn't un-install the 9600 drivers 1st nor did I reset my OC settings in NV Tools but i figured when i plugged the 8800 in anyways that windows would at least find it ok... But no luck Any ideas???

JediSlayerX

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hey all, I am in need of help asap... My system is a dell inspiron 518 w/ a few upgrades... WD 1.5GB HDD, 600W Suntec PSU,
XFX 9600 GSO 768MB version... Well a friend gave me a BFG Geforce 8800 GTS OC 640 MB Card and i just wanted to check the clock cores n such against my 9600 so i put it in and booted up... well all i got was a black screen BUT I heard windows boot up... I didn't un-install the 9600 drivers 1st nor did I reset my OC settings in NV Tools but i figured when i plugged the 8800 in anyways that windows would at least find it ok... But no luck Any ideas???

Yes, shut down the pc, remove the 8800gts and reinstall the 9600. Go and download the latest driver for your OS and save to your hard drive. UJninstall the video driver for the 9600 and shut down. Remove the 9600 and install the 8800gts and reboot. If you have the video card seated correctly with the correct power supply cables you should boot into windows and have a very low resolution. Install the new drivers then reboot. You should be good to go.

If not, then check your power cables and make sure the video card is correctly seated and retry. That should be all you need to do...

virrze

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Do you know how to setup a graphics card? Consider asking one of your friends who knows how to set it up. Also uninstall the drivers for your 9600, reboot, setup 8800, install drivers, should work.

JediSlayerX

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Do you know how to setup a graphics card? Consider asking one of your friends who knows how to set it up. Also uninstall the drivers for your 9600, reboot, setup 8800, install drivers, should work.

As far as installing a video card... Yea I think I know a thing or two about that... seeing as I was installing my 1st 3DFX Voodoo 5.5 when you were in like 3rd grade lol... Anyways so I took the heatsinks off and re-did all the thermal compound uninstalled the 9600 drivers, swapped the cards and tried to fire it up and still no luck but i also never uninstalled NVTOOLS Or RIVA TUNER so would that be an issue??? I really just need to try it in another fresh rig to see if it has the same problem... I mean the fan is goin just fine... the card is noticed by the board or so i assume cuz if i unplug the 6 pin the PC beeps like mad!!! But the OS (Vista Ultimate 32bit) just won't read it i guess... So if the card is toast will BFG fix it for me even tho i got it second hand??? I'd gladly pay to get the 8800 GTS fixed But again whats better the BFG Tech 8800 GTS OC 640MB OR the XFX 9600 GSO 768MB OC'ed by me... (I keep the 9600 GSO at Core 675 Mem 525 Shader 1700) As my research says that the 9600GSO is just a suped up 8800 in disguise...

You would get a little performance boost out of the 8800 gts 640. It wont be a huge difference but its a card thats worth reviving, if you can prove its dead. Can your friend test if for you? Or was he having problems too?

I logged into XFX under my account and read the warranty info on video cards. If your friend is the original purchaser and has it registered on XFX's website, your in luck. If not, then your not, lol.

Read on:

May I transfer the limited hardware warranty?

MOTHERBOARDS: The limited hardware warranty for Motherboards may not be transferred.
GRAPHICS CARDS: The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards may only be transferred to one owner after the original owner. Limited hardware warranties for Graphics Cards may be transferred if the new owner registers online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 90 days of the transfer using the same Registration ID as the original owner. Registration by the new owner at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 90 days of the date of transfer using the same Registration ID as the original owner is a condition precedent to transferring the limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards. The duration of the new owner’s limited hardware warranty will be limited to the duration of the original owner’s limited hardware warranty. If the original owner has a warranty for the duration of its life, the new owner’s life shall become the measuring life that determines the duration of the warranty.

Let us know how it goes...

JediSlayerX

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
@ englandr753: that is a freaky statement!!! But I guess its good for me cuz my friend is 83yrs old and has a heart condition LOLZ!!! J/K :)

Ok well I tried the card in an older rig as well which is an older E-machines in an Xblade mid tower with an AMD 64 3200+ 2.0 ghz, with 2gb super talent heat sinked DDR 400, a 450 watt Codegen PSU, and booted to Windows 7 ultimate X64 etc... It was running an ATI all in wonder 2006 edition till i swapped out for the 8800 GTS... same problem in this PC... black screen but i hear windows boot up fine so no crash or whatever at 1st... then it started restarting the comp...So i'm at a loss... Any way i can find out if the card is already registered with BFG or not??? Or if i can still register it myself if its not??? Ima just call BFG and tell em i bought the card new in the box at a flea market or somethin and see if its all good... Cuz XFX and bfg may have different policies on that stuff we will see... I'll let you guys know more as I find out...

Will your friend not help you out in this situation if hes the original owner? Ask him if he registered it and see if he will just say he has a problem with his video card and needs an RMA. It would be easy to do through him if he has it warrantied.

I think I got my wires crossed with the BFG and XFX warranties. Sorry about that. 99.9% of the time companies will want you to either be registered with that particular product in question or provide a receipt. This will be the main reason you will need to get your friend involved.

Sorry but theres not really an easier way to do this...