8800 GTX Overclock results???

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I am currently looking into benchmarking my Vcard to play games and HD type applications on my new monitor(2560x1600).

Let me know how you OC'ed your card and what worked for you. Here's the type of info that could help me out:

1 - I'd like to know which brand of 8800GTX you have (i.e. eVGA, XFX, MSI, BFG, Sparkle, ASUS, Leadtek, etc.).

2- What OS and Driver version do you have (i.e. Vista 64-bit, XP MCE, etc)?

3- What software was used to verify stability (i.e. nTune, R-Tuner, etc)?

4- What stable results did you get Shader/Core/Memory (Stock is usually 1.35GHz/575MHz/900MHz)?

5- (Optional) What benchmarks did you get in any games/3DMark applications (at minimum 1650x1050)?

I would appreciate any recommendations that you have (except upgrading GPUs).

***Edit***
I have upgrade my BIOS but I would rather not Flash it for OC purposes. I seem to be capped not by heat...but by the power going in my card?!! It also makes sense...that if I up my voltage going in...that the card will have sufficient juice for all cores in my GPU and Good consistency in my Memory. That being said, is there any way for me to increase the amount of juice going in the card (without flashing)?

Thanks a lot guys!

Alex

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can sometimes up your PCI-e voltage in your motherboard BIOS. This might help a little with your software OC, but you will reach a ceiling at some point that will require voltage mod on the board itself. I don't know how common these are anymore, and how effective they are on newer hardware, but they used to be possible. Other than that, your options are limited to BIOS flashing, and even then, I don't know if they allow voltage variations...depends on the flashing tool, maybe?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
That's my concern. I want to see OC results with no extra juice going in the card. Obviously, if you OC too high...and your card lacks electricity, then it will become unstable. But, if you can manage to cool your GPU enough and get extra juice in the card, you could have a fairly high OC, right?

So with the 8800 chipset, even if I had it cooled by Liquid Nitrogen...I still would be capped by the amount of juice going in the card, would I not? I'm unclear on the whole subject.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I have an EVGA8800GTX. However it's unmodded.

I'm a bit lost as to what your question is.

You can Overclock without volt modding an 8800GTX. You can use either EVGA Precision or Rivatuner. Personally I like EVGA Precision.

G

I have a 8800 gts 640 and I OCed w/o mods from 513/1284/793 to 650/1700/1000

in total that netted me about a 30 % increase in performance so i'm happy...

but i'm still unsure as to what you want in your thread...

yes is possible to mod cards...

yes you need more voltage to reach higher clocks... just like cpus...

and the 8800 series has amazing OCing potential...