8800GT 1GB - Worth The Price?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi, I'm in the U.K and I just purchased the 8800GT 1GB for £39.99 (£47.50 including postage and V.A.T) from Ebuyer Express. It's a refurbished unit.

Was it worth it? Somebody told me it wasn't, and that hurt me alittle. :cry: Sombody chear me up!

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
It's an Asus EN8800GT 1GB - Is this lower or higher then a normal 8800GT? I couldn't find any specs on it. I just persumed it was like a normal 8800GT, but with 1GB VRam.

O and I just found out thats its a barebone, nothing comes with it. Just the card. Bollocks, I should have read the small print :)

Still worth it? ^^

Well, I dunno. To me, no I would not have bought it, because it would be a step backward from what I have now, so if you paid even $5 it is too much in my eyes.
But what are you upgrading from? What are you putting it in? What do you expect from it? Let us in on some of that info, then we can maybe let you know if you made a good choice or not!

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Not bad, but theres so many budget options with newer cards I would prefer a newer card that cost a bit more. Still not a bad deal on it. We all said it would be bad if you paid the 100 for it like you said earlier, this is a little more reasonable.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Well, I used to own a XpertVison 8800GT Sonic 512MB/256Bit/1900/650Mhz. I sold that a few months back, as I was short for cash, but was offered a good price. I put some cash aside bit by bit and made £50, so I decided to get another 8800GT, I saw this one and went for it. (dumbass, should have asked first.)

The thing I worried about is, what are the core clocks and bit rates of this EN8800GT?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

O, I bought this in ££ not $$. When I was mentioning 100 erilier, that was in $$. £50 is around $100USD's. But forget that for the moment, the important part is, the specs on the GPU.

An 8800GT is an 8800GT. The basic reference design is the same on all of them. You can always use Rivatuner to set the clocks to what ever you want. 1 gig of memory?
The old 8800GT does not have a wide enough memory bus, or quite frankly enough raw power to use all of 512 meg of memory, let alone 1 gig. It's a marketing gimmick on these.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Bollocks regarding the marketing thing. Anyway, that aside, an 8800GT is not an 8800GT. There are MANY LOADS of different ones with different clock rates etc etc. I'm just trying to figiure out if this is G92 or not. (or G82, which ever it was, I forgot now.)

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Pheww... Your a life saver, you made my day.

Just a question though, you know that there are many different clock speeds right? Is that due to the fact that the factory overclocks them, or do they use completely different chips from the manufactorer? So if the 8800GT is @ 1800Mhz as standard, and XpertVision does theirs @ 1900Mhz, are they useing different chips? Or is it just factory overclocked?

If so, then I'm all good and I won't have to worry one bit. As I can just overclock the 1GB one I just recived. Correct?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
They are just factory overclocks. In theory, since you are speaking of memory clocks, they could put better memory chips in the cards to get higher MHz, but a 100 MHz overclock wont be hard and it wont do you any good since you are already far exceding the bandwidth, 1GB on a 256-bit bandwidth.

All that said the core clocks and shader clocks will be the same on any 8800 GT. Set it to 700 MHz and enjoy.

As I said, an 8800GT is an 8800GT. Any difference in stock clocks are not that different, you won't notice any difference.
And, as I said, you can simply download Rivatuner...takes about 30 seconds, and set them to whatever you want to set them at, within reason.
It was always kind of foolish to spend extra money on factory overclocked GPU's, since you can very quite easily do it yourself.
Factory overclocks are hardly ever over a few mhz, and you can easily hit them, and surpass them with Rivatuner.
So, for what it' worth, the card you have bought is a least as good as the one you had.
Install it, go get Rivatuner, overclock it a good bit, and enjoy it.

They simply program the BIOS on the chip with a different clock rate, maybe a different style/type of fan, and some may even have slightly different brands or kinds of memory chips, but they all must be build from the exact same reference design set forth by nVidia.
The core logic, and the chipset itself are all exactly the same thing.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
O sweat, thats a load of my mind. OK, now down to the OCing part. Who can help me set it to the right clock rates? What volts do I need? I've never overclocked a GPU before, would need help with that.

I want it to be @ 650/1900 at least, as thats what my old GPU was set at as defualt.

Thanks.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

How about when I recive the card and install it, you help me via TeamViewer or somthing :) I wouldn't wanna go near somthing I've never done before on my own, when I see it once, then I'll know for ever.

PS: Once you OC the card, will it stick to that card so if I take it out and insert it into another machine? Or will it set itself back to defult when I discconect it from the original PC.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
^ O wow, I thought it stays like that as it OC's the GPU. I thought there was a bios chip on the GPU itself? Is there no other way of making it permenant?

You can flash the BIOS on the cards, and there are ways to do BIOS mods. I have never done this though. A quick google search should turn something up.
But I am sure the card you get will be at least equal to the card you had.

Don't get the 1GB version. The 8800GT/9800GT isn't powerful enough to use anywhere close to 1 full gigabyte.

Hell, even the more powerful 9800GTX/GTX+/GTS250 can't really use 1GB either.

You'd need to go to the level of a GTX260 or ATI 4870 for a GPU powerful enough to actually use ~1GB of video RAM.

TRENDING THREADS