8800GTS 512 Overheating

Dalyinx

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
My 8800GTS 512 is running extremely hot. I haven't really had any issues with it crashing due to overheating, but it still reaches obscene temperatures. I think the only reason I'm able to keep it running is because I leave the fan at 85-100% all the time because it'll get above 90c idle otherwise. At 100% it idles at about 77/78c, and at 88% it idles at 84c. My ambient temperature around the card is usually about 65c, which is fairly high. It can get over 90c at load, sometimes up to 96-97c - although only if the fan is below 90% or on auto. While I haven't had any issues so far, this can't be good for the longevity of the card (although I've had it for two years and don't plan on keeping it much longer.)

I also have a similar problem with my CPU, although it doesn't get quite that hot. I do have dust problems, due to having animals, but I regularly clean all the fans. My case is well-ventilated (Lian-li PC-61,) so I don't really think that's the issue.

Mainly, I was just wondering if there were any suggestions to help get the temperature down. I've recently applied thermal paste to the CPU, which helped a bit, but not as much as I would have hoped (about a 10 degree difference.) I'm thinking about buying a new fan, do you guys have any suggestions? I don't really want to spend more than ~$30 on one, though. I've also just ordered some more thermal paste, so I'll see how that works.

Other relevant information: the room is usually between 18 and 22c, there are a crapload of wires in the case that might block airflow, but I've done the best I can to secure them - they're fairly neat. The PSU I'm running is an Antec Trio 650w. I have stock MSI 8800GTS 512, and my CPU is an AMD Athlon X2 6000+. None of my equipment is overclocked at the moment, although I have ran my GPU at ~700/1750 and my CPU at ~3100 in the past.

Solution
Reread the OP. He's got a 8800GTS probably with a dual slot cooler. From what I know those cards should not be that hot, especially with a room temperature of around 20C.
To the OP, have your tried cleaning the card cooler(not the fan). If you have it for 2 years now there might be a lot of dust in there. I suggest to open the cooler and check. I saw you applied thermal paste to the CPU, but have your tried to do that to the GPU?

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I've got a 8800GT (Palit, I think) with stock cooler.
Temperatures are 60-65degrees Celcius while idle and 90-95 full load, 97 in furmark stress test. (666MHz GPU, 950MHz memory).
These are the "normal" (if you can call them that) temperatures for this card. Nothing to do about it, really.

I've got no suggestions for the CPU coolers, since I have an Intel C2Q and the stock fan is enough for me now, so I haven't searched for anything else.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Reread the OP. He's got a 8800GTS probably with a dual slot cooler. From what I know those cards should not be that hot, especially with a room temperature of around 20C.
To the OP, have your tried cleaning the card cooler(not the fan). If you have it for 2 years now there might be a lot of dust in there. I suggest to open the cooler and check. I saw you applied thermal paste to the CPU, but have your tried to do that to the GPU?

Solution
^+1

sometimes those coolers get a cake of dust stuck in them and you have to use a high pressure air compressor to get them out or remove the plastic shroud. It's littely a dust cake. I've seen it before.

Removeing the cooler and reapplying paste is also A good idea. Sometimes it is not really applied to well from factory and I've seen some cheap paste that gets dry and really doesn't do it's job well.

+1

Remove the card, remove the cooler, disassemble the cooler, remove the dust, reassemble, clean the gpu, use arctic silver 5 thermal compound, reassemble the the card and finally test. As a result the temps should be lower by at least 10-15c. By the way cleaning fans alone isn't good enough.

TRENDING THREADS