8800GTS and PCIe x16 problems.

Valke

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
So, Ive been using my PC for about a year now, and when I first built it I realized that the video card would not give me a signal if seated in the x16 slot, but it would if it was in the x4. SO I figured, no biggy. come to find out that there is a difference between the two, and that it -can- be significant. For some reason, on a ABIT IP35 Pro, it just will not send a signal when put in the x16 slot. Any ideas? Also, if anyone has the links, I could really use some for the power plugs for both the 8800GTS (512mb) and the ABIT IP35 Pro. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, also when its in the x16 slot.. the fan on the 8800 just spins at max speed, and thats all it does until I turn the PC off.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Bad motherboard.
Probably out of warranty though.

if your pci-e slots are 2.0, then 4x isn't that big of a deal. You will lose a couple frames.
If they are pci-e 1.1 then your card is bottlenecking a bit.

Valke

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
In that case would an Asus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232 in particular) be a good replacement?

Valke

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Alright, bump-age, and more.

After doing some research about my problem, Ive narrowed down a possible solution to my problem. The problem comes from the bios on my video card (PCI-E 2.0) being incompatible with the BIOS on my mobo and socket (1.0 and/or 1.0a). Now then, What Im trying to do is flash the BIOS on my video card to a version that is PCI-E 1.0(a) and I cant seem to figure it out. I already flashed my mobo up to the newest release of the BIOS, and updated all my drivers (which yes, I know, will have to be re-done on the VC) but I'm still stuck at the whole flashing the BIOS on my VC. I don't have a floppy drive (doh!) so I'm stuck trying to make a CD bootdisk, which I cant seem to get to work right. If anyone can either link me to a proven way of how they flashed their VC with a CD bootdisk, or maybe someone with the tech savvy to do all that work for me and just make an image that will do it auto for me, it would be GREATLY appreciated. If I get this to work, Ill be sure to post my findings, and hopefully help the many others with this problem. Thanks!

Valke

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
That's where most people get messed up. 1.1 and 2.0 are very compatible. 1.0(a) though, not so much. Its weird though, cause its hit and miss. I dunno, I didn't build the cards or slots, but so far thats the last thing I haven't tried, figure its worth a shot. Cant hurt anything.

http://forum.uabit.com/showthread.php?t=131643 is where I'm basing my theory from...

Valke

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
So, it seems like it might now be as hit and miss as I had thought. Seems like people with rev 1.1 of the motherboard are the ones not having an issue. Those with rev 1.0, like myself, do have this problem. Anyone had any luck fixing this on their PCs?