Question 8800gts not working

Mar 31, 2019
Recently i got a 8800gts and after installing the drivers for it on windows 7 64-bit and restarting my computer i boots normally and goes to the windows 7 opening loading thing and after that before going into the login screen goes black and then comes up with a blue screen saying some thing. I tryed uninstall the drivers and tryed older drivers and new ones and even flash the cards bios and still comes up with the same error unless i go into safe mode(to unistall drivers with ddu)

If anyone can help me by telling me somthing else i can do.

Here is Blue screen i get

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019
Have you tried putting it in the other pci 16 slot? And what gpu ,if any, were you using before the 8800? I was going to ask you to click on the 8800 and install drivers that way through device manager.
its only has 1 pci-e 16x the other one I a x8 and I was using a 550 ti before but I really want to test out the 8800gts since how cheaply I got it

Mar 31, 2019
Do you have a 2nd PC, or a friend with one it can be tested in? It could be your system, or it could be the card. Your PSU could be too weak, or maybe a bad set of drivers (you could try some older ones).
I do have another system and it wont be the psu since the one im using a a 500w psuand I have tried all ages of drivers for it but I will try it in antoher system

I do have another system and it wont be the psu since the one im using a a 500w psuand I have tried all ages of drivers for it but I will try it in antoher system
Just because it's a 500w unit, doesn't mean it's not the PSU. They do go bad, they can even be defective out of the box. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it could be.

You might also look for a copy of the original BIOS on it. It's possible someone messed with it before you got it.

Mar 31, 2019
Just because it's a 500w unit, doesn't mean it's not the PSU. They do go bad, they can even be defective out of the box. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it could be.

You might also look for a copy of the original BIOS on it. It's possible someone messed with it before you got it.
I have flashed the bios and also the psu work with a much more power hungry card but I may try flash the bios again

could a bad copy of windows 7 effect it? also in the blue screen it says something about Nvlddmkm.sys

Last edited:
I would see if the card works in another system. The blue screen is from either the computer not having the right windows drivers on board for the card to work, although you had a previous nvidia card in so I don't think its that. I think you may have a bad card and the computer cant make it run so it shuts itself down. But see if the card works first of all in another system.