8800GTX died. Buy HD4890 or GTX275

animy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Hi,

I've bought my EVGA 8800GTX monster 2 years ago in the US.
A few days ago when playing games, blue-yellow dots would appear on screen and the PC would crash. Within the last couple of days it deteriorated - at first it crashed at ~80-85 degrees Celsius, later at 65-60 and now it would no longer log on to windows. boot screen is filled with weird ascii symbols. then it would draw a nasty graphic and a BSOD "device got stuck in an infinite loop" would appear. I'm guessing the card died. (tried switching drivers, computers, nothing helped)

Unfortunately, I was stupid enough not to register it as soon as I bought it and I'm not in the US, so I'm guessing repairing/selling or replacing is not an option?

In case you confirm my worst fears, what graphics card would be best to buy at the moment? At the price range of GTX275 and HD4890. Which one of them do you recommend? or maybe it's worth to add 100$ for a GTX285?

Thank you very much.

@ what resolution do you play ?? and assuming you were running 8800GTX, you should have a good power supply...

Either of the cards - GTX 275/ HD 4890 would do...Check which card plays you game better, get that card...

And NO to GTX 285...IMHO not worth extra $100 for just slight increase in FPS...

animy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
1600x1200, max settings whenever possible.

Power supply is EZcool 500W I think. Had a 430W Thermaltake before that and it worked well.

That's a good advice. Thanks. I checked some games, and it looks like half of them 4890 is better and at the other half 275 takes the upper hand. So it's pretty much even.

275 doesn't support directx 10.1. but there's CUDA, Physx. I'm not sure which pros and cons I should take into consideration here, other than gameplay framerates.

For your resolution, even the GTX 260/ HD 4870 can play most of the games @ max settings...but the HD4890/ GTX 275 are worth while upgrades when compared to the 8800GTX...

As for the CUDA and Physx, there very few games/ apps, that take advantage of these features...
So I would suggest you get the one which is cheaper...

And how old is that PSU ?? If it is more than a year old, then I would suggest you change it...It seems that it is not a very good brand and quality and would rather not take chances with that PSU as these cards consume more power than your 8800GTX...
So get a good 500W+ PSU from any of these brands...
Antec EA/ Corsair/ Seasonic/ PCP&S/ Silverstone...

DX10.1 is not worth factoring in to your purchasing decision as nothing uses it, but your PSU is really not very good, I have personally sent a couple of those EZcool's to the PSU afterlife myself and would not recommend that you use one with a new card (it may even be the reason for the old card's demise)

+1 Mousemonkey on every point.
I would advise getting a less expensive card and spending the money saved on a replacement PSU: Corsair, OCZ, Antec, Pc Power and Cooling or Silverstone are amongst the best but HEC make nice units too. Look for about 500 Watts from these makers (or a little more if a nice deal can be found;))
Even the GTX260 or 1Gb HD4870 would be a slight upgrade from the 8800GTX you had, and they are getting painfully cheap.
Here's how the cards stack up against each other:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-graphics,review-31583-6.html

animy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Thank you for your replies and recommendations.

I have this PSU for about half a year now, but if you're saying that it might have a negative effect on the GPU's performance and lifespan then it's definitely worth replacing.

I may buy Corsair 550W model CMPSU-550VXEU.

As for GTX 260 and HD4870. Isn't it better to add $80 and get a GTX275 / HD4890 instead? (in a price/value ratio)

@ Animy: Good choice on the PSU.
Which CPU do you have? The GTX275/HD4890 will have their performance restricted with anything less than a fast dual core, even the HD4870 I had was held back by my C2D E6600 at stock speeds.

Edit: If not the US, where are you?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Your card sounds like it passed away and went to half-life afterlife. After you resolve your PSU issue, have a look at tyhe XFX brand and consider a card with a double lifetime warranty (the warranty transfers if you sell the card 1, 2, even 3 years down the road). At a minimum, get an XFX card with a lifetime warranty. EVGA is also a good company but I question why some of their cards only carry a 1 or 2 year warranty.

animy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks Coozie7.
I have a good CPU, it's i7 920. It shouldn't hold the GPU back, I presume.
The board is Asus P6T deluxe.

I currently live in Israel.

HundredIsland,
I just got a reply from EVGA, they agree with you, so do everyone who I've talked to. Buying a new card is no longer a matter of choice, I guess.

There are no XFX HD4890 and GTX275 models available here at the moment.

All the cards over here (BFG,Asus,XFX,Sapphire,Gigabyte) are provided with 3 years of warranty by the importer. Which is good enough.
does it replace the warranty of the manufacturer?

What about Asus and Gigabyte? Aren't they good?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I believe the XFX double lifetime warranty is for USA and Canada, not sure about Australia. Perhaps someone better informed can chyme in on this. In your area, I would stick to the seller's and not the manufacturer's conditions.
Given a choice between just the two, I would buy an Asus before Gigabyte for both motherboards and videocards. After you narrow down your choises, you can use Newegg reviews to check on that product's issues or complaints.

@ Animy: OK, that seems to have the CPU issue fully covered, no problems with restricted performance there:)

If the cards all carry the same warranty, there's no problem, just get the one that suits your pocket, I have no brand loyalty whatsoever and seldom need or want anything in the 'bundle' so tend to go for the lowest price.

Although you do not live in the US, I agree with HundredIslandsBoy; Check the customer reviews on Newegg.

If your location lacks air conditioning be careful about which cooler is fitted to the card. A lot of them seem to be designed to dump their heat into the case and, even with good airflow that can lead to heating issues in a hot climate.
I would really strongly advise you to replace that PSU with the Corsair unit, it's a quality component and will drive any of the cards you want, just not in SLI/CF!

As for card choice: It's really up to you and your pocket. The GTX260/ 1Gb HD4870 are a slight upgrade from the 8800 and fairly cheap or you can do the i7 a bit more justice and drop the GTX275/HD4890 in.

animy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
HundredIslandsBoy, Coozie7, thank you very much!
I'll check out the reviews on Newegg. It's always a good idea before buying a product.

As for what you've said about air conditioning and card cooling, you're absolutely correct. It has been a major problem with the 8800GTX. Pockets of hot air and the hot weather would sometimes heat the card up to 100-105 degrees Celsius. It could've been one of the reasons for its eventual death.

Also, with the P6T motherboard, the only 2 PCI slots are located too close to the first PCI-E2 slot, which makes it impossible to install the x-fi sound card. the only other x16 slot is at the bottom of the tower and that creates a pocket of hot air beneath it.

Tomshardware has excellent benchmarks on these cards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-roundup,2297.html

I'd go with NVidia for the Physics (PhysX) support.

I'd also pay close attention to the NOISE of the card. There are some cards with excellent cooling mods. Try to get one that blows air out the REAR of the case via the dual-slot.

Which card comes down to the money. Personally, I might go with the GTX275 or slightly higher then hold off on a DX11 card in two years. Remember, DX11 cards will be released in advance of many (if any) games and even games with DX11 support will be playable in DX10.

Summary:
- GTX275 (or slightly higher)
- at least 640MB of VRAM (in SLI, 512MBx2 is still 512MB not 1024MB)
- do you want SPDIF input on card to pass through to HDMI?
- Wait two years for DX11. No need to upgrade the rest of your computer.
- Get a good cooling solution.

Animy: Depending on you case design you'd be surprised how much can be achieved with a simple case fan, some sticky pads and a little care.
A few observations on cooling:
Air flows like water, so when pointing a fan, think of it as a hose and imagine where the air will flow to.
Hot air rises, so do not fight it, help it on its way-up and out.
Ideally you should have as much if not more exhaust capacity as intake.
All cases have spare drive bays, at least one is placed in just the right position to allow cool air to flow straight in, over the memory and past the CPU cooler on its way to the rear exhaust fan or fans.
Use side fans with care, they create a mushroom shaped flow which can work against the normal front/rear, bottom/top air movement you should be aiming for.

animy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks photonboy, I checked out at different manufacturers of GTX 275 and they all have the same temps more or less.
A good cooling solution could be nice, but I don't intend to overclock. It would be disappointing if I have to spend a fortune just to make the card work well under its normal clocks.

Coozie7, thanks for the tips. You gave me a few ideas there.

I sometimes use a regular fan which I place outside the case - leave the side case open and let it ventilate - it drops the GPU temps by 10-15 degrees. But that's not really a permanent solution.

Anyway, I hope the GTX 275 that I purchase (hopefully) today will be cooler than 8800GTX.

Thanks a lot guys. You've been great help! :)

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008

I agree with this :)

XFX has delivered some great customer service and cards for me.

The one time I bought a non-xfx card in the last few years was a sapphire 4670 and when I asked them a simple question about scaling, it turned into. Oh your card must be defective! If not, just change the resolution in game! Duh!

It was horrendous.

I had an 8600gt have a dvi port go out and xfx had it replaced within two weeks, then I sold it and the person who bought it got the warranty in his name. XFX usually boxes cards with games as well which can be a bonus.

As for the 4890...I paid 200+ for mine a few weeks ago and with the prices on the 4870's around 135...it makes me feel silly that I didn't just splurge and buy two of those heh.

BUT.

Evga does have step up...