Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I was looking through the 890s cause I am going to buy one here in the future. I have only begun to look through them and so far from what I read the crosshair 4 looks better than the gd70. But there is still the GA-890FXA-UD7 and the Crosshair 4 extreme, and from what I have heard, people are holding out for them.

I planned on the GD70 but after a few articles and forums I think I am also going to wait for the GA-890FXA-UD7.
I wanted to hear what others had to say about it, what ever one I get it, I want to get a 1090 with it.

Lutfij

Titan
fine and dandy :) its all upto the consumer. The real question here is "how much are you willing to spend?"

the crosshair 4 formula/extreme are REALLY pricy mobos...and they are for the elite, or for someone with deep pockets. Gigabyte on the other hand, are a lil cheaper. If your looking into Asus, they'l surely come up with a cheaper board. But that in essence means less features

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I wouldn't spend a lot on a 890 because the 790 performs as well and is cheaper. Bulldozer will be out before you know it and it will be a new socket.

Yeah your right I didn't think to think how long will it be "in", I have no idea when bulldozer is coming but I would assume 2 years.
I guess the MSI is only 200, and I can either get the 790 or 890, I just figured I would get the newer of the two.

I guess if gigabyte comes out before I buy I could always consider there ud7. I wouldn't say I am elite or super extreme, but I would say I am a
enthusiast who is looking to get the best highend for the buck, I am using my student loan this fall to pay for it, so I am planning atleast a
1500$ setup plus how much I save and I already got a couple hundred, plus I just spent 200 on my new 23" Acer.

So I am not looking for the most expensive but something comparable for a cheaper, but I want to spend the money where it counts.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Accordingly to Wiki, the Dozers are to come out in 2011ish, so if you plan on buying the new setup then it might be best for a cheaper board.
I am still debating, but if I get 790 then obviously it be out of date sooner but it wouldn't matter cause I would just get a Dozer Setup, then again if I get the 890, it will last longer, the only problem is it might just be nothing compared to what we will see next year.

Either way I need to get one, both my desktops are outdated, and my laptop is over 2 years old. I am actually getting it so I can install
the CS5 Master suite and a few games :) because I need it for my classes lol. I am glad I'm a student cause I am going to get it extremely cheap.

randomkid

Distinguished
The 890FX is really tempting. I myself already have an MSI 790FX-GD70 but somehow I'm still itching for an 890FX to go with a 1090T. I know it will not be worth the money if I have nothing else to do with the 790FX... Perhaps I just spend the money instead to move my 790FX motherboard to a bigger case to fit a megahalem to cool the 1090T when I OC it beyond 4.0Ghz. :)

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I wanted what you had, but I have been pushing it back so I could wait for everything to come out, but were still waiting.
I am going to get the 1090 for sure, its just that I after looking through some stuff I have been leaning away for the MSI 890FXA-GD70.

Its what I have been wanting but I don't know if I want to spend another 30 bucks on the Formula 4.
I figured no matter what I get it will be hella good.

I have read through tons of cooling products and I think I am getting the 212+ cause everywhere it gets pretty much the same as any air cooler.
My second choices was the megahalem or the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Do you mean the second week of May???

Well I have checked several places and the 212+ is always with in a few degrees of the rest, so if paying double then what you would for it, just for less than a 10* difference, then its up to you. I personally would like to get a nice black one to match everything, but the black version of the megahalems is more, not to mention if you want it for an AM3, then your
talking about another 10-15$ for the mount for either the black one or regular one.

I really like the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, it is actually shorter than most, but that doesn't matter on my case(Cm 692 AD.) cause I am getting the optional side panel. Its stylish, black, plus on some sites it was rated the coolest air cooler
for AM3. I rather get a air cooling for now, and can any wc loops or H50.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah Toms did a review, and if there is any place I can trust its toms articles. For price/performance the 212+ is quite the bargin. I would only get the Tuniq Tower 120 if
I had a little to spare and want a little more. I was looking forward to the new HAF X and LanBoy but the CM 692 Advanced is such a good deal.

Anyways I can't for the whole lineup of the 890s, I personally would be satisfied with any of them and the GD70 is probably a good suit for me. I just don't know if
the CH 4 is worth the 30 extra schillings. The 1090 is obviously the way to go with the Thubans and is probably more than I need but hey it will be worth it.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I actually didn't really look into the 790 gigabytes, I was waiting to see the 890 ones. Hey since it has sata 3 and usb 3 it could possibly be the one I get.
I heard gigabytes are the best for OCing and just overall the best if your looking for highend.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
It does have nice features and has a good reputation for being an outstanding company for enthusiasts.
I have had a few people say against MSI but I have never heard anyone say anything negative about gigabyte.
I think I will read more into it, its hard to pick but either way I will win.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well once the rest of the AM3 boards come out we will have a better understanding of what to get.

I personally like the MSI GD-70, but if I can get a board with a better bios and better OCing features then i would consider another.
From what I have gathered the Asus is used by the extreme enthusiasts who want the best of the best while gigabyte is mainly used as a cheaper alternative.

I wouldn't mind any of them and would just like to get what ever is the best for the money. Since the CH 4 is more cash I would only get it if it had something the
others didn't. I am probably going to end up with the MSI, but I am going to make sure I make an informed decision.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah I should look into the Gigabytes because they seem to have a user friendly bios that is probably better for me. Even though a complex one can be solved, its better to have a bios that can be used without hassle. The boards all seem to be in line without any big issues. I think the one that was showed to me earlier is actually really nice, but I want to see what the newer ones have in store.

randomkid

Distinguished

Maybe this is true (MSI arent good with overclocking ) cause I never did get past 3.6Ghz stable on an X3 with my MSI 790FX-GD70 although others did. But in fairness I haven't really pushed it. Perhaps its because I have a small case & only an 92cm cooler. I should get new case & cooler to get the most out of this motherboard.

I would say that the MSI BIOS is quite user friendly, though.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I think 4.0 ghz (Stable) is about where I want to be at roughly, but I am not sure how high the 1090 can get stably.
If I can get that high w/ a user friendly board then its for me. I do like the GD-70 and am starting to like the Gigabytes just as much.
The only reason I like more about the MSI is the color scheme.lol.

^For that we can know the answer this Friday.

To celebrate the launch of its latest CPU product, AMD is holding a special overclocking event completely live and set up for streaming over the internet. On April 30th, starting at 12 noon Central Time, eight overclocking teams from around the world are going to find out just how fast they can push the new CPUs

Complete article: here