[SOLVED] 8cores recommended to match console development?

Zoladex

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
Hi, im looking to upgrade my aging i5-3570 & 1600mHz RAM.

I was originally tempted by the 10600k, 6cores, as its meant to be great for gaming at the moment (especially @5mHz). Though i was wondering if new consoles, being 8cores, would push game development moreover to using 8cores.
In which case i was looking at the 10700k, but its quite the price bump... Else there is AMDs 3700x which is cheaper and 8 cores, but it seems that is better suited for work programs than purely for gaming (i dont stream or edit).

Are the new consoles likely to effect games core wise, or would that be more likely over several years?
There is also the temptation to wait for the remainder of AMDs 4000 series to release, i read somewhere that the non-APU versions can be quicker?

Cheers
Zola

Edit: i believe all off these CPUs might be overkill for todays games, but was looking to future proof a little. I think i caught the back end of the '4cores is enough' phase with the 3570 :( (hope to keep the processor for one or two GPU upgrades)

Last edited:
Solution
As with every console launch, developers will try to use as many resources the console have available for them.
Will this happend on the day one, not.
It takes time to get to know and mature the software engines, and all the ecosystem of programs developers needs to make the games. It takes time to get to know the hardware. Then you have to also count in the OS and games patches and fixes, drivers, etc.

I don't think the need of an 8 cores/16 threads CPU will be something that is going to happend tomorrow, or when the new Consoles hit the streets.

What you do know right now is that we already have PC games that takes advantage of the 12 Cores / 24 Threads of the Ryzen 9 3900X have, Do those games need soo many cores to run?, not at...
As with every console launch, developers will try to use as many resources the console have available for them.
Will this happend on the day one, not.
It takes time to get to know and mature the software engines, and all the ecosystem of programs developers needs to make the games. It takes time to get to know the hardware. Then you have to also count in the OS and games patches and fixes, drivers, etc.

I don't think the need of an 8 cores/16 threads CPU will be something that is going to happend tomorrow, or when the new Consoles hit the streets.

What you do know right now is that we already have PC games that takes advantage of the 12 Cores / 24 Threads of the Ryzen 9 3900X have, Do those games need soo many cores to run?, not at all, they don't. And you can get more performance with other chips with less cores/threads.

What we also know is that te Core i5 10600K with fast memory and MCE enable can get close to achieve similar performance of the Core i9 10900K (in the games with have today).

Also the Ryzen 7 3700X is a very capable CPU for either gaming or work. Is it the same as the Core i5/7/9(Ks) 10th gen?, the answer is no. Is it good enough the answer is yes, and probably way more than good enough to be fair.

Wll you get a top tier GPU to be needing a top tier CPU? I don't know you never said it.

And talking about consoles, what about the PCIe 4.0 storage, Will this be a consideration for building a PC?, Are we going to need ultra fast storage to enjoy the games as console player will in the near future?

You see, I could keep making questions all night long.

In short, get you GPU figure it out first, then budget more or less half the price for the CPU and you should be fine. If you can make it to higher tier on the CPU it would not hurt. Juts make sure you get a decent cooler to be able to get the best performance out of the CPU you pick

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're comparing apples to oranges. there is absolutely no correlation between what consoles are doing and what pc's are doing. i see this asked a lot and the answer is always the same. 8 cores on a consoles is not in any way equivalent to 8 cores on a pc cpu.

the comparison is just not valid. you have to look at what games are doing for the pc right now and go from there. a ryzen 3600 is ample for pretty much anything. you can go with a 3700x if you wish for the extra 2c/4t but any more than that is not needed.

don't waste your time trying to figure out what compares to consoles as they just do not relate enough to how they work and how they are used in development.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Zoladex

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for the replies, gave me some food for thought :)

I think the argument that 'they are all more than enough' is a good one, so currently looking at AMD as they seem to be on fire at the moment!

Geek also makes the good point that console and PC do not work in the same way. Its how the system can utilize the given processor. Im currently looking at AMDs 3300x as they appear to have done something clever with CCX which means it can be just as fast, if not faster, than the earlier 3000 series CPUs. Its also the cheapest by far which means an early upgrade would not be so bad regardless.

Just motherboard and RAM to go! (B450 & 3200mHz seem popular!)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I think the argument that 'they are all more than enough' is a good one, so currently looking at AMD as they seem to be on fire at the moment!

Geek also makes the good point that console and PC do not work in the same way. Its how the system can utilize the given processor. Im currently looking at AMDs 3300x as they appear to have done something clever with CCX which means it can be just as fast, if not faster, than the earlier 3000 series CPUs. Its also the cheapest by far which means an early upgrade would not be so bad regardless.

Consoles and PC's are completely different platforms. Their not going to start making games that require a bunch of cores that would be very bad for business since your average person would not buy it since their PC could not run it.

I just got the 10600K and yes it's very good. 6 cores with hyperthreading.

EDIT not sure if you have the K or not but a very large upgrade.
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_3570k-324-vs-intel_core_i5_10600k-1141

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

i agree with going AMD right now. intel matches and has a couple extra mhz over AMD but for me the cost savings with AMD is worth losing a couple fps. intel will catch up for sure once they get 10nm and 7nm working but for now, i can't recommend intel with a straight face. i'm not loyal to either side and look for the best bang for the buck when i build. this time i went with a 3700x on a b450 aorus pro and 32 gb 3200 ram :)

i know i got some serious power for my money :)

Reactions: RodroX
I believe both the xbox SX and PS5 use AMD processors and GPUs. So I'd go that direction. BUT! neither has to deal with the middleman of win10. Or run your development platform (unity unreal etc). If this is just for fun then I'd go with AMD as it's a better bang for the buck. If this is a business expense that you can write off, then I'd go with a 10series intel. There is something to be said for intel's reliability and overall platform consistency compared to AMD. Which is important for a machine you need to run win10 on and develop on.