[SOLVED] 8GB 3000mhz enough?

May 14, 2021
For a Ryzen 5 3600 paired with a GTX 1650 SUPER , is 8 gigs of 3000mhz ram enough? Does it do the job just fine or I need to upgrade it to 2x8GB or something?

Solution
Does it have a major impact that would hinder my experience? Most games I play are competitive shooters, so it should be fine for now I guess..? Let me know what you think.
If you suffer stuttering you know a possible reason but it will only happen in some games. You are also possibly loosing anything up to 30% in FPS although the average is more like 15%-20%.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

RAM does not depend on the other components it is paired with. RAM amount should depend on the amount YOU NEED for your application.

For example, if you largely gaming, it is generally recommended to get 2x8GB as 16GB will meet nearly all gaming requirements.

As for speed, with a 3600, try and stick to a speed of at least 3000.

May 14, 2021
Welcome to the forums!

RAM does not depend on the other components it is paired with. RAM amount should depend on the amount YOU NEED for your application.

For example, if you largely gaming, it is generally recommended to get 2x8GB as 16GB will meet nearly all gaming requirements.

As for speed, with a 3600, try and stick to a speed of at least 3000.
Will I run into any issues if I were to only use 8GB?

FYI both single channel RAM or 8GB RAM can cause some stuttering in a few games. This is in addition to possible lost FPS. Also do not buy 1x8gb now with a plan to add another later. Even if you buy the exact same make and model it is not guaranteed to work together if it did not come from a single matched kit.

Reactions: PC Tailor
May 14, 2021
FYI both single channel RAM or 8GB RAM can cause some stuttering in a few games. This is in addition to possible lost FPS. Also do not buy 1x8gb now with a plan to add another later. Even if you buy the exact same make and model it is not guaranteed to work together if it did not come from a single matched kit.
Does it have a major impact that would hinder my experience? Most games I play are competitive shooters, so it should be fine for now I guess..? Let me know what you think.

If you suffer stuttering you know a possible reason but it will only happen in some games. You are also possibly loosing anything up to 30% in FPS although the average is more like 15%-20%.

Solution
May 14, 2021
Will I be better off using a 2x4GB instead then? Or is that also a poor decision due to the lack of upgradability?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3000MHz is trixy. Today's ram speeds are set on a very old standard, 100MHz and 133MHz, with 133MHz being the most common. So 2933MHz isn't much more than 133MHz x 22 multiplier and 3200MHz is 133MHz x 24 multiplier. Many motherboards using a Ryzen 3000 series cpu will readily accept a 133MHz base, but not a 100MHz base. So 3000MHz is 100MHz x 30 multiplier, which they cannot accept.

This can lead to serious stability issues when simply setting XMP/DOCP as the board doesn't recognize 3000MHz settings. Instead, for that speed ram, you must manually adjust the speed to 2933MHz after setting XMP, which will set 3000 timings and voltage, but make the ram speed 2933MHz instead.

Ryzen 3000 also thrive on dual channel. Whether this is 2x4Gb or 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb. A single stick will work, at rated (adjusted) XMP speeds, but you'll get a performance loss compared to running the same size ram using 2x sticks.

8Gb is Windows 10 recommended minimum, generally there won't be an issue with that amount. Some games and programs will go beyond that in use (which is bad and uses your ssd as page-file virtual ram), so most users recommend 16Gb to avoid that.

Better to have too much and not need it than need it and not have enough.

Reactions: PC Tailor
May 14, 2021
3000MHz is trixy. Today's ram speeds are set on a very old standard, 100MHz and 133MHz, with 133MHz being the most common. So 2933MHz isn't much more than 133MHz x 22 multiplier and 3200MHz is 133MHz x 24 multiplier. Many motherboards using a Ryzen 3000 series cpu will readily accept a 133MHz base, but not a 100MHz base. So 3000MHz is 100MHz x 30 multiplier, which they cannot accept.

This can lead to serious stability issues when simply setting XMP/DOCP as the board doesn't recognize 3000MHz settings. Instead, for that speed ram, you must manually adjust the speed to 2933MHz after setting XMP, which will set 3000 timings and voltage, but make the ram speed 2933MHz instead.

Ryzen 3000 also thrive on dual channel. Whether this is 2x4Gb or 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb. A single stick will work, at rated (adjusted) XMP speeds, but you'll get a performance loss compared to running the same size ram using 2x sticks.

8Gb is Windows 10 recommended minimum, generally there won't be an issue with that amount. Some games and programs will go beyond that in use (which is bad and uses your ssd as page-file virtual ram), so most users recommend 16Gb to avoid that.

Better to have too much and not need it than need it and not have enough.
I really needed this and you helped me to understand it with ease. Thank you so much for the clarifications!