News 8GB DDR5 Contract Pricing Dropped 43% Through 2022

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
SLC NAND price trends have held up much better though.
Can you be more specific? I'm pretty sure the only current applications for true SLC is the nonvolatile memory in embedded devices, where data retention times on the order of 5-10 years are required. If I'm right, that should be classed as a specialty product and not compared with NAND memory pricing for consumer & cloud data storage.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So DDR5 prices drop while GPU prices go ridiculously through the roof. I don't want hear about it being the silicon shortage anymore
  1. DRAM is made in different fabs, and has a much wider variety of applications than PC GPUs.
  2. PC GPUs were designed to be sold at a certain price point. This factored into things like their process node and die size, which cannot be changed. Also, software costs are a significant component of their pricing. They aren't the same sort of commodity as DRAM.
You might as well use the spot price of oil as a basis for complaining about GPUs costing too damned much. It's almost as relevant.

Well we were warned this recession would happen back in 19. But at least no more mean tweets.
Recessions are hard to predict, although it's a pretty safe bet they'll happen after a long enough period of growth. Back in 2019, the pandemic wasn't even on the radar screen, and already the Fed was was a ways into the process of ratcheting up interest rates, to try and keep inflation at bay.

united-states-interest-rate.png

I'll take mean tweets with $2/gal. gas, 1.7% inflation and fossils fuels over climate extremists, 40 year high inflation of 8%, $5/gal. gas and a police state - any day.
This is called a fundamental attribution error.

BTW, PC demand slump was indeed forecast, but simply got delayed by the pandemic and crypto craze.

Last edited:

Kridian

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
I just don't feel right. We need these DRAM prices to go way up; that way every component (in a PC build) will be expensive so the universe will balance. 💩

DataMeister

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
I bought 16GB of RAM for $60 back in 2015. Considering the history of computers it seems like we should be seeing 32GB of RAM for that price by now.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I bought 16GB of RAM for $60 back in 2015. Considering the history of computers it seems like we should be seeing 32GB of RAM for that price by now.
As Geef mentioned, DDR5 is still new and in high-demand. Expect to see some further declines, although it's made on a more expensive process node and there's the matter of inflation to consider. So, 16 GB DDR5 DIMMs might not ever get as cheap as DDR4 got.

Anyway, comparing like-for-like, you can buy a 16 GB DDR4-2400 DIMM from Newegg for $35, new. A 32 GB DDR4-2666 DIMM will curretly set you back $71. However 32 GB is pretty big for DDR4.