8GB in newer Intel 10th gen laptops?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have been looking through my local stores online shop for a new laptop. But what puzzels me is that many of the machines have 10th gen Intel CPU i5/i7/512 GB SSD but have only 8 GB ram installed? And that goes both for machines from Asus/Lenovo etc.

So my question is these config of fast new gen CPUs and only 8 GB ram do to cost saving from companies? Or are the new Intel 10th gen mobile so fast, that they only need 8 GB?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really boils down to cost & demand.

What laptops are you looking at, specifically? Ie, what are they intended to do? For general use, browsing, MS Office etc, 8GB is sufficient. Really no need for manufacturers to spec out with >8GB by default for the intended market.

As long as the RAM is upgradeable by the user, it can, in some instances be cheaper to buy the 8GB config & add to or replace.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Really boils down to cost & demand.

What laptops are you looking at, specifically? Ie, what are they intended to do? For general use, browsing, MS Office etc, 8GB is sufficient. Really no need for manufacturers to spec out with >8GB by default for the intended market.

As long as the RAM is upgradeable by the user, it can, in some instances be cheaper to buy the 8GB config & add to or replace.

My current machine is an i7 (7th gen)/512 GB/16 DDR3 ram.

I use my machine for Programs like Maple, but besides besides from what Office, browsing, streaming. Would I feel a speed drop with doing from 16 to 8 GB ? if its a new i7 10th gen CPU?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My current machine is an i7 (7th gen)/512 GB/16 DDR3 ram.

I use my machine for Programs like Maple, but besides besides from what Office, browsing, streaming. Would I feel a speed drop with doing from 16 to 8 GB ? if its a new i7 10th gen CPU?

I'm not familiar with Maple, so can't really say.

However, monitor your RAM usage in tasks you perform. If you're coming close to or exceeding 8GB currently with a 7th Gen, 4c/8t CPU.... then the situation would be similar or worse with a 10th Gen 6c/12t CPU.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
@Euroman28

I believe it is down to making the price attractive for the consumer (i.e. more RAM equals a higher price tag), but it is also down to what the average person will 'use' in terms of RAM. The average user will use a laptop for streaming, social media, work/school, emails and maybe some light photo editing. For all that, 8GB's is capable of performing all those tasks comfortably. The combination of 10th Gen Intel processors and DDR4 Ram does also bring a performance boost themselves, but I believe it is more down to 'average' user usage.