8GB RAM vs 12GB Ram?

Solution
12GB would be good if looking ahead at all, it will run in flex mode (8GB in dual channel) and 4 GB in sigle, if you multi-task a lot or if a gamer plan on recording the extra DRAM wil come in handy and cut down on reads/writes from the page file. And $40 isn't going to do a lot towards improving the CPU cooler, the EVO is great on the 4690K should carry you to 4.6 and maybe better

Add another 10 bucks and you can get a 1tb hdd. Or possibly a new case/fans/fan controller? Possibly get a good deal on a new PSU? Some new headphones/speakers/mouse/keyboard?

Quite a bit you can do with 40 bucks.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
12GB would be good if looking ahead at all, it will run in flex mode (8GB in dual channel) and 4 GB in sigle, if you multi-task a lot or if a gamer plan on recording the extra DRAM wil come in handy and cut down on reads/writes from the page file. And $40 isn't going to do a lot towards improving the CPU cooler, the EVO is great on the 4690K should carry you to 4.6 and maybe better

Solution

TheKolapo00

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

There is nothing better for $70?

i gave a solution that included an r9 290 instead of the 280x for the same price, i think that is better....

Echo1452

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Ok for one the more ram you dedicate to a game will help not run a lot faster but smoother as well further you wanna make sure you're getting a 12gb of ram and not just three sticks of 4gb of ram sure you will get 12gb of ram in the end but you will be in my opinion be wasting ram slots. Also with recording and gaming if you want high quality videos you're going to need high quality materials and they need to able to run fast getting mad framerates and being able to to record in 1080p for the recording part U reccomend the msi x99s gaming 9 ack y has built in recording equipment and also only does 1080p for the graphics card I reccomend two 980 gtx graphics cards these will help achieve faster frame rates but now you have to put to the fact am I going to be over clocking that basically means you are going to be pushing your graphics cards cpu toad limits but this can be dangerouse but my friend there is a solution to this and it is water cooling but can be risky if you aren't taking care it can leak destroying every thing you built and put thousands into well I hope this helped