[SOLVED] 8gb read in BIOS, 4gb read in windows

Feb 22, 2020
Ok, I’ll make this real short.

My system is as follows:
  1. Ryzen 3 cpu
  2. Asrock a320m-hdv r4.0 mobo (2 ram slots)
  3. 2x4gb 3000mhz ram

Was cleaning pc and needed to remove gpu, prior to cleaning I had 8gb ram, didn’t touch the ram sticks at all
After cleaning I boot my pc and get 3 beeps, a restart, 3 more beeps, another restart, and 1 beep before going into windows and seeing that I have only 4gb of ram usable (3.9gb)

Both bios and hwinfo detects 2x4gb ram sticks but windows does not.

I have tried a memtest, reseating, and lowering ram speeds well below it’s normal operating speeds with no luck. Will soon try to individually testing them.

Any help will be appreciated.
- Nic

Solution
The cpu is a ryzen 3 1300x and the ram is from team group rated at 3000mhz and is ddr4 (each stick 4gb)

That CPU does not officially support 3000MHz, so you must've been overclocking on the mobo. And as for the RAM, while this board does support many different types of RAM on its QVL that rated speed and model is not listed. But let's say none of this has caused the issue, since this setup works and has worked for some time, instead let's worry about the CMOS.

First try running one stick at a time and checking to see if each stick works as they should, test both ports with both sticks ALONE, so test 1 stick in slot A then B and then repeat with stick 2.

And if they work alone but still not together you'll most likely want to...
The cpu is a ryzen 3 1300x and the ram is from team group rated at 3000mhz and is ddr4 (each stick 4gb)

That CPU does not officially support 3000MHz, so you must've been overclocking on the mobo. And as for the RAM, while this board does support many different types of RAM on its QVL that rated speed and model is not listed. But let's say none of this has caused the issue, since this setup works and has worked for some time, instead let's worry about the CMOS.

First try running one stick at a time and checking to see if each stick works as they should, test both ports with both sticks ALONE, so test 1 stick in slot A then B and then repeat with stick 2.

And if they work alone but still not together you'll most likely want to clear the CMOS to hard reset your mobo.

Please follow the next steps in order to troubleshoot your main board.

TO CLEAR BIOS / CMOS
  • Disconnect the two power supplies sources from the main board. (24 Pins /20Pins and 8Pins/4Pins) cables.
  • Pull the CMOS Battery out from its battery Socket (it's a circle 3v battery on the mobo).
  • Short the Jumper CLRMOS located close to the Battery and set for from position 1~2 to 2~3 to clear the Cmos for about 10 seconds.
Put the battery back in first, plug in the power supply cables, and boot up into BIOS. Don't overclock the RAM just yet, just see if windows can use all 8GB again. If it does, then OC and check once more.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Reactions: Amikami
Solution
Four other things to check.

Make sure the video card slot is clean and free from dust etc, and make sure the slot contacts are not bent nor damaged.

Ensure the video card is seated properly and all cables connected properly.

Check that the CPU is mounted evenly and level. It might have been knocked aside a bit accidentally.

Finally check all "vacant" slots (particularly the memory slots) on the motherboard that they are free from dust and debris etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amikami
Feb 22, 2020
Four other things to check.

Make sure the video card slot is clean and free from dust etc, and make sure the slot contacts are not bent nor damaged.

Ensure the video card is seated properly and all cables connected properly.

Check that the CPU is mounted evenly and level. It might have been knocked aside a bit accidentally.

Finally check all "vacant" slots (particularly the memory slots) on the motherboard that they are free from dust and debris etc.

And if they work alone but still not together you'll most likely want to clear the CMOS to hard reset your mobo.

Please follow the next steps in order to troubleshoot your main board.

TO CLEAR BIOS / CMOS
  • Disconnect the two power supplies sources from the main board. (24 Pins /20Pins and 8Pins/4Pins) cables.
  • Pull the CMOS Battery out from its battery Socket (it's a circle 3v battery on the mobo).
  • Short the Jumper CLRMOS located close to the Battery and set for from position 1~2 to 2~3 to clear the Cmos for about 10 seconds.
Put the battery back in first, plug in the power supply cables, and boot up into BIOS. Don't overclock the RAM just yet, just see if windows can use all 8GB again. If it does, then OC and check once more.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Thank you very much for the help! I’ve tried all of them and I have no idea what but it magically worked, now I have 8gb of ram installed (7.9gb)

I removed the gpu, cleaned the port by blowing into it. Then loosened the cpu cooler a bit and fastened it again. Then individually test the ram sticks in all the slots and out of nowhere it magically works.
Literally nothing changed. There was no dust in the slots or anything, the cpu cooler didnt move at all during the loostening process. I really don’t know what happened... it just works. But then again thank you, let’s hope this thread will be helpful for other people who encounter the same problem

TRENDING THREADS