8GB Sticks in Crosshair IV Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahughes

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I would like to max out both my board's memory capacity and speed, due to relatively poor FPS while gaming and multiple VM requirements while not gaming. I am not concerned with the QVL, as memory has become relatively inexpensive and far more available since this board was released.

Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
Current RAM: OCZ Gold 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Mainboard's Memory Details:

Number of Memory Slots: 4×240pin
Memory Standard: DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066
Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB
Channel Supported: Dual Channel

My question is simple: This board has 4 slots but is "limited" to 16GB. Most people infer that this means it will only take 4GB sticks, but there's nothing that explicitly states it won't work with a 2x8GB configuration. Will it? Has anyone had success doing so?

I would like to get close to 2000MHz via overclock. From my understanding, it is somewhat easier to overclock a pair of sticks rather than two pairs simultaneously.

Additionally, any heatsinks larger than those on my current RAM may impact my CPU heatsink if all 4 slots are populated. I was thinking of running 2x8GB high-profile sticks in slots 2/4 as opposed to 4x4GB low-profile sticks across all four slots. If 8GB sticks are a strict no-go, I might consider 4x4GB high-profile sticks and removing or bending the heatsink of the stick closest to the CPU.

Thanks for your advice.

Solution
On page 2-15 in the board manual they say from 512MB to 4GB sticks, bare in mind that they did not have 8GB sticks out then.
BIOS revision 2002 has a note that it increases memory compatibility without further explanation.
Status
Not open for further replies.