Question 8k on RTX 3070 and Samsung QE55Q700TAT

Oct 18, 2020
Windows does not show the native 8k resolution of the screen.

It appeared once very briefly and then disappeared

3070 is supposed to be HDMI 2.1

The TV is the latest model

I have a new 3m HDMI 2.1 cable

I can't see what the issue is anymore other than false advertising and no actual 8k possibility.

Oct 18, 2020
i did the updates in the TV - it has a menu for that, connect to internet and downloads it and installs it - that is done - it's latest version

it's just garbage as far as i can see, it says native 4k, it's advertized as an 8k unit but it does not appear to be.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020
there's no menu to properly enable any of that, just dinky stupid things like "game mode" and "input signal plus" - people say that you need both enabled, but that's incorrect because it doesn't allow input signal plus if game mode is on.... they say game mode is the 8k enabled but since they are so dumbed down it's impossible to really know.....

Is your TV’s firmware up to date? From what I’ve read many TV’s have had issues with HDMI 2.1 and RTX 3000 cards. My LG C9 needed an update to run 4K 120Hz and before the update I couldn’t run HDR at 4K 60Hz, the TV would disconnect and would not reconnect until the pc was rebooted. Since the update it’s been perfect.

When I was researching my problem I came across articles saying HDMI 2.1 cables should not be over 2m.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Oct 18, 2020
updated the TV by putting it online

Sonero Cable Premium High Speed HDMI 2.1 8K HDMI - HDMI, 3.0 m (3m, HDMI)

why would they sell an 8k HDMI 2.1 cable 3m long if it doesn't work ?

the whole industry seems to be wacko to me - absolute nonsense of rumors and fiddling about with no support from Samsung... I think I dump the PoS on ebay and go back to me old screens, which are 10 years old and have a better black than any of this new junk....

Totally fed up with it, just marketing marketing fancy pictures of useless junk that doesn't work...

Oct 18, 2020
and WTF difference could a meter of cable make it's electrons going down copper wires... good grief... it's rumors and BS for junk well marketed badly made junk as far as i can see...

Oct 18, 2020

sounds like the whole thing is a complete piece of garbage....

First of all, calm down and watch your language. There are some rules here and you need to follow them.

Now, we want to help and we already gave you some suggestions. If you don't like them, feel free to ask somewhere else.

I used vdsl as an example of technology being restricted by distance. Not because it had the same distance limitations. Also, how you arrange things in your house is not an issue to manufacturers. You can have the system exactly below the TV as far as they are concerned

Oct 18, 2020
it's junk - if it wasn't junk it would work

i am fine with some logical troubleshooting and so forth, but this has been deliberately messed up so samsung can sell 8k PC monitors next year - they made it NOT TO WORK !

Oct 18, 2020
there's nothing really to be calm about, because it's not as advertised and worse, totally over priced and deliberately made not to work on 8k with a PC

updated the TV by putting it online

Sonero Cable Premium High Speed HDMI 2.1 8K HDMI - HDMI, 3.0 m (3m, HDMI)

why would they sell an 8k HDMI 2.1 cable 3m long if it doesn't work ?

the whole industry seems to be wacko to me - absolute nonsense of rumors and fiddling about with no support from Samsung... I think I dump the PoS on ebay and go back to me old screens, which are 10 years old and have a better black than any of this new junk....

Totally fed up with it, just marketing marketing fancy pictures of useless junk that doesn't work...
My LG only received the firmware fix about 10 days ago. If there is a problem it could be a fix hasn’t been released yet, it’s something to try searching for on TV forums.

A certified HDMI 2.1 will have a QR code on the packaging and that QR code allows you to check the certification using a HDMICertification app. HDMI 2.1 is a total mess, they were selling hardware and cables before the standard was official earlier this year. There are loads of cables sold claiming to be 2.1 but with no certification. Another example of the issues popping up with 2.1 https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

Cable length from what I read can matter. With prior HDMI standards issues often started at 10m or above. I have a 10m 1.4 cable that works on multiple devices except 1 TV. A part of 2.1 is extra shielding between the wires to minimise interference from one to another, it seems longer cables increase the chance of this interference. Another is the quality of the wire to reduce resistance, the longer the cable the higher the resistance. I will clarify I am not an expert but I did a fair bit of reading when I had issues with my C9 and 3080. It might have nothing to do with the cable but it’s a possibility.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Oct 18, 2020
could be..... i noticed that... firmware is different to OS update... yes.....will give it a crack... the instructions said it was all online but firmware is unlikely to be that simple....