8ms Response time vs 4ms

andrescelano

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
Hi guys, so I am looking to purchase a 1440p monitor. The qnix qx 2710to be exact. On ebay, i can get one that is 8ms response time or one that is 4ms. Will I notice a huge difference between 8 and 4?

Solution
The response times manufacturers claim are not comparable, there is no standard for how to measure it and they all try to cherrypick the best possible result to make the spec sheet look as good as possible.

Pixel response time can make a difference for ghosting, but on most decent monitors ghosting is not a problem you need to worry about.

Also, it's important to note that it's different from input lag. Pixel response time is a visual fidelity spec, and applies just as much when you're watching a movie as when you're playing a game.

Thats highly subjective. Most people don't, but some do.

The response times manufacturers claim are not comparable, there is no standard for how to measure it and they all try to cherrypick the best possible result to make the spec sheet look as good as possible.

Pixel response time can make a difference for ghosting, but on most decent monitors ghosting is not a problem you need to worry about.

Also, it's important to note that it's different from input lag. Pixel response time is a visual fidelity spec, and applies just as much when you're watching a movie as when you're playing a game.

Solution

If i understand your question correctly, there is no such thing as the same monitor model having different specs. The sellers just have things mixed up.

Most common I'd say and I agree is that people confuse response time for input lag, super common.

And to add to the conversation. I usually bring up my projector in these comparisons, because it's got the quickest response times by far, yet there's still blur when trying to read text, etc, that's because my eyes can't keep up, not the projectors fault. I use that to counter the fact that people think that TN's ghost less than IPS if they're both 60 Hz, which is simply not true. That's only true if you take still frames or slowmotion video, not real world use.....