[SOLVED] 8pin PCIe cable won't fit into my PSU

Apr 25, 2019
I have a PCIe cable bought from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077QY3RF7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My PSU is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZLD2O0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My cable fits into my graphics card, but it can't connect with the 6+2 PCI-E section of the PSU. However, the PSU shipped with a three-ended cable that has two ends with "PCIe" on it, and another with "type4". The "type4" end fits into my PSU and the "PCIe" end fits well to the other end of my PCIe cable. I thought it is an adapter. However, my machine did not boot up and the fan noise from the graphics card was extremely loud, which I think is an indicator of an error.
What is going on???

Solution
No, the GPU did not work either way (the fans are not even spinning). However, I need to point out that I am using an external PSU not plugged into the motherboard. The one plugged into the motherboard is dell's stock PSU, which does not even have a PCIe hole. Can I use an external PSU?

That's why it's important to provide as much information as you can when asking the question! That can change things considerably.

How are you turning on this external PSU? Keep in mind, you can't just flip the switch on a power supply and let it rip.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You mean the cable I bought is an extension cable? I did connect it to the one shipped with the PSU, but the machine did not work

Yes, an extension.
CableMod ModFlex 8-pin PCI-e Extension

Does the GPU work running with the stock PSU PCIe cable? If so, and not with the extension, then the issue sits with the extension.
They're fairly foolproof, but can add some addition ripple etc..... and always possible it;'s defective.

Apr 25, 2019
No, the GPU did not work either way (the fans are not even spinning). However, I need to point out that I am using an external PSU not plugged into the motherboard. The one plugged into the motherboard is dell's stock PSU, which does not even have a PCIe hole. Can I use an external PSU?

DSzymborski

Titan

That's why it's important to provide as much information as you can when asking the question! That can change things considerably.

How are you turning on this external PSU? Keep in mind, you can't just flip the switch on a power supply and let it rip.

Solution
Apr 25, 2019
I just plugged it to an outlet and flipped the switch, after connecting my PCIe cable to my GPU... do I have to do more?
I tried to provide as much details as possible, but I didn't think an external/internal PSU would make a difference...

DSzymborski

Titan
I just plugged it to an outlet and flipped the switch, after connecting my PCIe cable to my GPU... do I have to do more?
I tried to provide as much details as possible, but I didn't think an external/internal PSU would make a difference...

https://bit-tech.net/guides/modding/how-to-jump-a-psu/1/

You have to short a couple pins, else power supplies would always be running, whether or not your PC was running and power switches on PC cases wouldn't do anything.