[SOLVED] 8pin pcie to 12vdc on z490 mobo

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
I think I ordered the wrong cable for my mobo. I have a Z490 Maximus Hero 4 from Asus, can I hook up an 8 pin pcie cable to the 8 pin (4+4) 12v port, or will the cable A.) Not fit or B.) Cause irreparable damage?

Solution
The PCI-e connector has 3 12V lines and 5 ground lines, the CPU power connector has 4 12V, and 4 ground, you will have a direct short between 12V and ground if you do that.

You will need a CPU cable and not a CPU cable from any brand and model. One that is specifically compatible with your PSU.
The PCI-e connector has 3 12V lines and 5 ground lines, the CPU power connector has 4 12V, and 4 ground, you will have a direct short between 12V and ground if you do that.

You will need a CPU cable and not a CPU cable from any brand and model. One that is specifically compatible with your PSU.

Reactions: mpochylko
Solution

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

You will need a CPU cable that is compatible with your PSU.

So that would mean the cable is incorrect and will cause much damage.

DSzymborski

Titan
I think I ordered the wrong cable for my mobo. I have a Z490 Maximus Hero 4 from Asus, can I hook up an 8 pin pcie cable to the 8 pin (4+4) 12v port, or will the cable A.) Not fit or B.) Cause irreparable damage?

Your PSU should have the correct cables already. PCIE cables do not go into CPU stuff. Modular power cables are also not universal, so if you lost a cable, you need to get one that works with the exact model. And if your PSU doesn't have the right cables in the first place, there's no safe alternative except for getting a proper PSU.

The most likely results from your plan are either that it doesn't fit or if it does fit, it causes irreparable damage.

Reactions: Nemesia
Most probably your psu will trip due to short circuit.. because PCIe power port will short 12v and ground if you plug it in cpu power..

And if you are talking about damaging.. maybe you can kill your PSU, motherboard EPS connector.. if you install wrong cable on wrong port

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
A cable for this exact PSU?

It's extremely odd that in a ten-day-old thread, we still don't know the PSU in question. Considering you wanted to do something that could have destroyed your PC's components, a little more attention to detail here would be a good idea!
My apologies friend. Asus ROG 850W gold+80. And yes the cables are custom from cablemods who test all components prior to shipping.

Mobo is maximus hero x470

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Excellent! Sorry to nag, but I just wanted to make sure that nothing went wrong with your new cable that resulted in very expensive things happening!

All good, everything is amazing with the system. I use the AI to overclock as I am not comfortable doing it myself at this point. New cable is on the way, everything will be complete in a few weeks.

Now, if only there was a way to better manage the fan cables.