8pin turn into a 6pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It's ok to ask idiotic questions, it's not ok to help someone out by confusing them, so since you're the original poster, no one would have laughed, if you had expressed a doubt about the first reply. Better safe than sorry.

"6+2pin is the same thing as an 8 pin, just already broken off professionally right?"
Right, more like a 6 Pin connector + a 2 Pin Connector.

You could go and cut the two pins off using a knife or heated knife. BUT.
What if you need the 8 Pin socket tomorrow?
What if you need to get a new Mobo that might need the 8 Pins?
If it doesn't fit directly onto the mobo, then the safest way to go would be to buy just another 6+2 pin extension cable.

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Nope. For 1 each pin delivers a certian voltage or data rate and breaking off 2 will not work.

2. most pins are connected in what they transfer for example 1 might send data somewhere and the data comes in to another.

3. your motherboard/hardware will not know how to use it, since it is supposed to be 8 pin.

Lol... you don't need any of that. The Cable will be directly compatible with the socket and will leave 2 Pins unconnected without any problems. The only thing should be that the 2 Extra Pin should not be blocked by any component on the GPU or Mobo.

@brythespy: What DATA are you talking about? Those are Power Connectors.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

i was thinking the same thing about what brythespy said, but sorta new to all this stuff still so i didnt want to say anything incase i was wrong then id look like an idiot XD

in my case the 6pin socket blocks the 8pin connector, so the 8pin wont go into the socket. i could get an adapter, but if i were to find a way to cut the extra 2pins off safely, it WOULD work, am i wrong? because a 6+2pin is the same thing as an 8 pin, just already broken off professionally right? XD

It's ok to ask idiotic questions, it's not ok to help someone out by confusing them, so since you're the original poster, no one would have laughed, if you had expressed a doubt about the first reply. Better safe than sorry.

"6+2pin is the same thing as an 8 pin, just already broken off professionally right?"
Right, more like a 6 Pin connector + a 2 Pin Connector.

You could go and cut the two pins off using a knife or heated knife. BUT.
What if you need the 8 Pin socket tomorrow?
What if you need to get a new Mobo that might need the 8 Pins?
If it doesn't fit directly onto the mobo, then the safest way to go would be to buy just another 6+2 pin extension cable.

Solution

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

not if i dont completly detach the extra 2pins :D it will be a home made 6+2pin, wont cut the wires off, just detaching the 2pins for the other 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.