8RDA+ problem with sound

Christoph

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

My old MB died and I switched back to my 8RDA+. After
installing windows, I'm having problems with XP seeing my
audio device. When I go to "Control Panel -> Sound and
Audio Devices", on the 'Audio' tab it is showing "No Playback
Devices" under default device and the select box is greyed out.
The same is true for the default device for "Sound Recording"
but the default device for "MIDI music playback" is set to be
'MPU-401' with no other option available.
Under the 'Hardware' tab, it is showing the following devices:

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
Realtek AC'97 Audio
NVIDIA(R) nFormce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
Legacy Capture Devices
Video Codecs

Clicking the 'Properties' button for each shows that the device
is working correctly. Going into the device manager shows the
following devices:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
NVIDIA(R) nFormce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Standard Game Port
Video Codecs

none of which have the yellow question mark by them. I've gone
to the Epox site, downloaded and installed all the latest drivers
but for the life of me I can't figure out why it's not showing anything
that can be used to play sound.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greately appreciated!

thnx,
Christoph

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

You installed the wrong motherboard driver (whether it be your fault or
Epox). You should not have "Realtek AC'97 Audio" in device manager. In
it's place you should have "Nforce Audio Codec". I use this driver set
with my 8RDA+ and it works well.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_2.45.html

DaveL