8TB Baracuda still only sees 2TB after converting to GPT.

grayslater

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
I just got a new 8TB seagate baracuda to use as extra storage. I converted it to GPT and still can't see more than 2TB. I reformatted the drive as NTFS and still can only see 2TB. Using Aomei Disk Patition Assistant I tried to extend the partition but it won't recognize more than 2TB. Anybody know how to get access to the rest of the space? I am running windows 10 and a 64bit system.

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @grayslater!

This sounds unfortunate. Have you tried using any brand-specific formatting utilities? I'd advise you to go to the HDD manufacturer's official website and find these tools. Another thing you should do is check the model number of the HDD and make sure that it's truly 8 TB.
If you have access to another PC, I'd also recommend you try to re-initialize & re-format the HDD through there and see if you will be able to access the full 8 TB capacity. This is your secondary SATA drive and not a primary booting HDD, right? Another way for you to format the HDD properly could be using a docking station externally.
I'd also suggest you download your HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic...
Welcome to the TH Community, @grayslater!

This sounds unfortunate. Have you tried using any brand-specific formatting utilities? I'd advise you to go to the HDD manufacturer's official website and find these tools. Another thing you should do is check the model number of the HDD and make sure that it's truly 8 TB.
If you have access to another PC, I'd also recommend you try to re-initialize & re-format the HDD through there and see if you will be able to access the full 8 TB capacity. This is your secondary SATA drive and not a primary booting HDD, right? Another way for you to format the HDD properly could be using a docking station externally.
I'd also suggest you download your HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic utility and make sure that it passes all the tests.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS