Question 8TB drive brand new QLC or used datacenter TLC?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I need a 8TB SATA drive for my test rig setup - it is a LENOVO TINY computer so it only takes one single SATA drive - so stitching many drives is not an option.
I was shopping for one, and I quickly realized Samsung 870 QVO would be an easy answer. Then I am seeing lightly used (<10Tb written) datacenter 5200 ECO 7.68TB for even less (600 USD) on ebay.
I am debating so hard right now... Should I go for brand new Samsung and 3 years of peace of mind, or take some risk and buy the used datacenter drive??
The 5200 ECO has full 520 MB/sec sequential without any caching, which is a huge advantage. It also has something like 9 PB TBW rating which is ridiculous.

I need a 8TB SATA drive for my test rig setup - it is a LENOVO TINY computer so it only takes one single SATA drive - so stitching many drives is not an option.
I was shopping for one, and I quickly realized Samsung 870 QVO would be an easy answer. Then I am seeing lightly used (<10Tb written) datacenter 5200 ECO 7.68TB for even less (600 USD) on ebay.
I am debating so hard right now... Should I go for brand new Samsung and 3 years of peace of mind, or take some risk and buy the used datacenter drive??
The 5200 ECO has full 520 MB/sec sequential without any caching, which is a huge advantage. It also has something like 9 PB TBW rating which is ridiculous.
Depends i f you prefer warranty over projected longevity (TBW). but either one can go bad at any moment.

Reactions: alceryes

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
That's alot of money without knowing how many terabytes were already written.

Is your project very write intensive? Or mostly just store once but read alot?
answer to your question is almost full disk writing, processing, delete, repeat. So yes, it will see 3-4 full disk writes every day.

By the way I ordered the used 5200 ECO - the seller disclosed
4690 power on hours
30 power on count
8.3 TB written

What is the correlation between time spent and income derived for the job this drive will be asked to do?

Faster operation equals more money in some way or not?

Is the real-life performance difference between the two drives for this job known? Or only speculated on?

Amazon says about 670 for a new 8 TB Samsung 870 QVO.

Versus 600 for the lightly used 8 TB Micron ECO with the high TBW? Price new is 1550.

Is the vendor of the ECO at all dubious?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
my rig is just academic test rig. The sponsor needs the results by next year.
Received the drive, updated the FW, trimmed entire drive and about 30 minutes to work.
As received and now

zwkZVug.png

picsr1O.png

looks good so far. Fingers crossed.
I think it is a good deal as long as it does not fail LOL
Full PLP is nice. Look at the number of reserved blocks. That's a lot

Reactions: alceryes

TRENDING THREADS