Question 8TB drive not recognized in PC, but fine with laptop

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
Hi there,

A few weeks ago, I built a new system, with everything seemingly working fine:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
• Mobo: Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Mobo (with Wifi)
• GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G (what a difference from my old RX560!)
• Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws at DDR4-3600 (non-RGB)
• Case: Fractal Design Define R6
• CPU Cooler: Noctua Chromax NH-U12S
• PSU: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold
• BootDrive: Intel 660p 1 TB M.2 SSD
• Running Win10 64

On top of that, I have several external and internal HDDs (a mix of WD and Seagate) – I have to store large amounts of data for work purposes + my Plex library is not small.
Because I was getting annoyed at all the external peripherals cluttering up my desk and because the case allows for so many internal HDDs – I decided to get rid of some of the external boxes: I’d “shuck/shell” them and instead install the drives internally.

This worked like a charm for 2 of them. But the third is acting strange:

It’s an 8TB Western Digital MyBook. When I power on, it sounds like the drive is spinning up, but then stops again after less than 10 seconds – before Windows can recognize it.
… In the old days, I would assume this was a sign of some major failure, and I should consider the drive bricked.

But then, for giggles, I took the drive down to my basement where I have a clone bay hooked up to a laptop. This one: https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-H...rds=mediasonic+HUR2-SU3&qid=1579644482&sr=8-1.

Not only did the laptop immediately recognize the HDD… in Hard Disk Sentinel it also shows up as 100% healthy with no bad sectors.

Then I took the bay back upstairs and tried to connect it to the main PC again -- but this time via the same USB 3 cable. And now, in the bay, the HDD spins up and stops again before being recognized. When I take it back downstairs, there is no issue.

Why would the HDD not be recognized by the PC, but have no issue in the laptop? Any suggestions? (All the other internal drives are doing fine in the PC.)

To be clear, I have back-ups of all the content, so at this point I’m trying to save the hardware. It’s 8TB! I don’t want to trash the drive, if it remains in good condition.

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
So this post is from a long time ago, but I finally figured out what is going on!

The HDD is fine... but because it's "shucked" from an external WD-case, I'm running into the "3.3v pin problem" that apparently folks have been running into with some WD drives. Here's a video (there are many others) about how to fix it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YqMn1pCRd8

I put the tiny piece of tape on that one pin, installed it in my case and: presto. Works like a charm.

Not sure why my laptop was fine reading it all the time... but at this point the problem is solved, so I don't care. :)

Thank you as always for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS