Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a HDD with the following requirements:
8TB
7200RPM
Min. 128 MB buffer(prefer 256MB)
as silent as possible.

I've already looked at a lot of options, but I would like the opinion of others. Also, it wasn't easy to find accurate noise measurements.
5400RPM would probably be more silent, but I'll be moving files as big as 1TB at times and 5400RPM would be too annoying. It would be nice if it could be close to as silent as the WD Reds, but that's probably not possible.

Hope you can help me out.

Solution
Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB should be like half that price and according to Seagate only run at 24dB - it's a 5400rpm drive though
the first review that shows up on google shows decent speeds for the drive

the various Toshiba drives (X300, N300) are decent drives but rather noisy, just as the HGST Ultrastars 36/32 dBA (load/idle)

but in general: 7200RPM drives are noisy. and no drive will be as quiet as 5400/5900rpm drive.

the only exceptions I found are the Ironwolf/Ironwolf Pro 10TB/12TB who claim to be rather quiet at 7200RPM
amd the Seagate 8TB Ironwolf Pro. They are 7200rpm drives, but one of the more quiet ones - rated for only 28/20 dBA. but there's to every drive a louder variant as well so look at the serials before...
Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB should be like half that price and according to Seagate only run at 24dB - it's a 5400rpm drive though
the first review that shows up on google shows decent speeds for the drive

the various Toshiba drives (X300, N300) are decent drives but rather noisy, just as the HGST Ultrastars 36/32 dBA (load/idle)

but in general: 7200RPM drives are noisy. and no drive will be as quiet as 5400/5900rpm drive.

the only exceptions I found are the Ironwolf/Ironwolf Pro 10TB/12TB who claim to be rather quiet at 7200RPM
amd the Seagate 8TB Ironwolf Pro. They are 7200rpm drives, but one of the more quiet ones - rated for only 28/20 dBA. but there's to every drive a louder variant as well so look at the serials before purchase

Reactions: AtotehZ
Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thanks everyone,

I guess what matters in the end is the transfer rate. I'll try to look at current 5400RPM against my now 5 year old 7200RPM 4TB HDD.

EDIT: After just a little bit of digging I found out that 8TB drives in general today are at least double the speed of my current 4TB drive. So speed isn't an issue. Furthermore the drive will be connected to a fanless mini-pc in the living room, so having it silent is even more important(were rigging it to match 12V).

Unless there's any undesirable behaviour with a NAS drive compared to non-NAS drives I'll be going for the WD Red 8TB.

... Oh, and my mini-PC arrived today.

Last edited: