[SOLVED] 8tb HDD making loud chirping click sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2020
Hi All,

I have a fairly newly built PC (around a few months old) and from day 1 it has been making this strange chirping noise. I've tried googling the issue but cant seem to find the cause..

I've uploaded the sound here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YtBtGDBGruVZH-RXnoig0W_ZYfJ6W7dm

If anyone could point me in the right direction..

The technician has told me it is normal.. not sure if I believe this as I've never heard a drive make that sound before.

Thoughts??

Thank you,

Solution
I encountered a couple of WD & Seagate 8TB HDD that make similar noises and it appears to be normal.
I have not encountered the sound as loud with 4TB & 6TB HDD.
Also make sure your HDD is very secure and has some type of rubber dampening, since this larger HDD vibration is higher, which causes even more noise or make the noise even louder.
I encountered a couple of WD & Seagate 8TB HDD that make similar noises and it appears to be normal.
I have not encountered the sound as loud with 4TB & 6TB HDD.
Also make sure your HDD is very secure and has some type of rubber dampening, since this larger HDD vibration is higher, which causes even more noise or make the noise even louder.

Solution
Jan 8, 2020
Okay that's interesting, so absolutely normal to have that loud click over chirping sound every couple of seconds?

It doesn't happen all the time but there was a point where it was happening every second. It's quite loud when it happens :/

I can't find a any clip or forum online that mimics that sound.

Seagate also told me it might be failing. Although they didn't listen to my sound clip I just described it as click / chirping.

Jan 8, 2020
Nothing at all abnormal there. Just the sound of the heads seeking. All mechanical drives make little noises like this when in operation. If you are not experiencing seek/read/write errors then there's absolutely nothing at all to be concerned about.

I understand that the crunching sounds are totally normal. But is that loud beep type noise normal? I've never heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.