8TB instead of 1TB, sudden drive failure

Jul 23, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty sure, there are plenty of this kind of questions, but I could not find a solution yet, or nor a really exact same situation.

I have an ADATA 1TB external drive which has a Seagate 1RK172-568 drive in the enclosure. It's kinda new, I have it for like 5 months. Also did not use it for a long period, as it is kinda backup drive, so not in daily usage.
Yesterday I plugged into my laptop and nothing. It only showed up in Disk Management with a pop-up window asking to initialize it.
Also it shows 8TB instead of 1TB of storage.
I tried to use some partition and data recovery software with no luck. My last try was HDD Regenerator, but it was scanning for bad sectors for half an hour. It said 0 was scanned but there were many bad sectors. Then HDD is not ready.
That's the weirdest situation for me as the last time I used the drive I checked it with HDD Sentinel for bad sectors and had 0 bad sectors. I did the test because it did not want to work on one of my USB port on my laptop (USB 2.0) but was ok with the 3.0. So just wanted to be sure everything is ok on the drive. Looked just fine, then that happened. No accidental drops or anything like that, it was lying on my desk.
If I plug it in, it spins up, no clicking or weird noises. Tried to replace the SATA-USB board, but no luck with that one. It just does not work with any of those, only with the original one. So my guess is that something happend with the PCB board on the drive. Is it a good guess? Any idea?
I would like to get my data back, but it is not that important to stop me to have some experiments with it. Do you think is it a mechanical, or a PCB issue? Any suggestions?

Sorry for long story,
Thanks in advance

Probably best option is to remove hdd from enclosure since usually the pcb that is between pc and hdd dies. Most of time hdd is fine.
Youre gonna have to dissassemble CAREFULLY , remove hdd from enclsure, connect it to desktop (via sata cables, while OFC the pc is turned off), anf start it up and see if the hdd is being recognized.

Jul 23, 2018

Hey, thanks for quick reply. Actually I already disassembled it, and replaced the PCB you mentioned with a sata-USB2.0 and a sata-USB3.0. None of them worked. But did not try to plug it into desktop directly. I will definitely try it and get back as soon as I have any news. Thanks again.

Update:
Tried to hook up directly to my desktop. No luck. BIOS cant even see it. For me it still looks like it is the PCB on the drive. If it is a mechanical issue it should pop-up in BIOS I guess.