Review 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 NVMe SSD Review: Cranking QLC Performance Up a Notch

Jun 19, 2020
Good news, 1/4 of the drive being slc (to use as cache) is alot.. so best drive .. for such capacity..

Sabrent’s Rocket Q features a massive dynamic SLC write cache that spans a quarter of the SSD’s available capacity. The 8TB Rocket Q wrote a little over 2.1TB of data at 2.9 GBps before degrading to an average speed of 276 MBps after the write cache filled.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Saw linus put this thing through a test. Seems fast. And the storage is heading into the right direction. The only problem i see is the same one i saw back in 2010... $$$$. Thats a steep price to swallow.

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Considering how much disc recovery firms charge to attempt to recover data from failed normal SATA drives... I'd love to see how much they would charge to try and recover all 8TB of your data when this fails... if you have something like this you 100% also need to budget another couple hundred for a 10TB backup SATA drive.

I have seen ridiculous prices from some of these recovery companies like charging 500 straight up then and more to pay for the clone drive plus something like $75 for each TB over 1TB to recover. I calculated the cost of restoring a bog standard 6TB WD drive at over $1000 which for a drive that cost me $150 second hand is just <Mod Edit> ridiculous. They are gougers, talking advantage of people being desperate to recover their precious recordings/pictures/data. Don't give them the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2020
Tomshardware, I can't find any latency measurements per read operation out there! As in you give the SSD a 4K aligned read command, how many milliseconds will it take for it to respond.

I believe it is ballpark 0.5 milliseconds which is the typical for most recent M.2 NVMe SSDs currently (and Optane leads with 0.01), can you please confirm?

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Tomshardware, I can't find any latency measurements per read operation out there! As in you give the SSD a 4K aligned read command, how many milliseconds will it take for it to respond.

I believe it is ballpark 0.5 milliseconds which is the typical for most recent M.2 NVMe SSDs currently (and Optane leads with 0.01), can you please confirm?
Double check the iometer /synthetic testing section of the benchmark pages, it should be there.

Oct 27, 2020
@seanwebster I reviewed page 2 and 3 carefully now and there are now IO latency numbers there.

If there would have been any screenshots of IOMeter, I presume they would have shown the latency, but none are published.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
@seanwebster I reviewed page 2 and 3 carefully now and there are now IO latency numbers there.

If there would have been any screenshots of IOMeter, I presume they would have shown the latency, but none are published.
I don’t take screenshots of the iometer results, I log them and sort through the raw data to chart it instead.

Oct 27, 2020
@seanwebster i don't see any latency chart, did you provide one?

(I only see the "tracing testing", maybe that depends on latency and so reflects it, i'd greatly appreciate an actual latency metric though)

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
@seanwebster i don't see any latency chart, did you provide one?

(I only see the "tracing testing", maybe that depends on latency and so reflects it, i'd greatly appreciate an actual latency metric though)

It isn't under trace testing, it is under "synthetic testing - iometer," as mentioned previously. You need to look through the gallery for the 4K random QD1 response latency. Sequential read is only the first image of the iometer gallery.

I've attached the 8TB results from the review.

jwxXCjauP4KyL9th98gRzZ-970-80.png.webp

8tUah8GEXG5im5MSeYX96a-970-80.png.webp